Small hive beetles

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Wally, Jacobs

reedyfork
Nursebee

Small hive beetles

Post by reedyfork »

Anyone else noticing an increase in small hive beetles this summer and fall? Up until now, I've never seen more than a few in my hives, but when I opened them up last week, it seemed like they were everywhere!

My three hives are in full sun, screened bottom boards, Beetle Blaster traps inside, and Guardian beetle traps on the entrances. All three hives did swarm this summer, so maybe that time with reduced bee populations allowed the beetles to establish a foothold inside?

Just curious if there's anything else folks have had success with to manage them...
quentin
Nursebee

Re: Small hive beetles

Post by quentin »

Have not had an issue with beetles this year. I have fewer beetles since reducing the entrance to about 1 inch. Weak populations can increase beetles. Too much space in hive is not good. Mite issues can weaken hive/reduce populations which encourage beetles.
DuaneB
Guard bee

Post by DuaneB »

I have 2 yards. The bees at the house have not really had a problem with beetles. My outyard, in Jamestown, on the other hand, those hives have an abundance of beetles. Worse I'm seen out there in a while.
quentin
Nursebee

Post by quentin »

Maybe hive beetles are like real estate, location,location,location?