Cold weather and swarming

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

ski
Guard bee

Cold weather and swarming

Post by ski »

Will this cold snap we have coming up stop or delay a hive from swarming? :?:

It supposed to be in the 50's for highs and low 30's for lows for 3 to 4 days.

Would it be better to hold off adding another brood box until after it warms back up? :?:

LH I want to add some comments to your Activity thread later tonight.

Thanks,

Ski
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

Ski, That is a very good question. I hope that it won't hurt them by adding another brood box (I am assuming that is the same as a deep super) because I added one Friday. I got one from Wally and went ahead and stuck it on the hive. They have been really busy and I hope it is because they are drawing comb to build up the new box. Having said that, I want to take your question one step further. For those of us who have added new bodies, what if comb is drawn and eggs have been laid in the new body? Would the eggs be ok, would they protect them, or would the eggs not need anything because the cold only bothers larvae and/or pupae?? And what is the deal anyway with the new body? Does it add extra cold by being empty?
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

I think the cold snap will stop about everything because they will be clustered to keep the brood warm.

I am guessing that IF the queen lays in the new box before the cold snap they may be lost if there are not enough bees to keep the brood warm. So it willl depend on the amount of bees in the hive.

I am guessing so Someone please correct this if I am wrong.
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

So do you think that the addition of an extra box was a negative with the cold??? Or do you think that it helped keep them from swarming??
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

It's not going to get cold, so it won't matter.
Cold to bees starts at about 43 degrees. The few hours it is supposed to drop below that will not penetrate the hives. They will be fine through this "cool" spell.
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

It is suppose to be 28 degrees Saturday night. But it is suppose to be cool the two days before. Is this not a cold spell???
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

For us, yes....For the bees, no...It will be back above 43 within a few hours. They will keep the box above 60 during that time. If 28 were the high for 3 or 4 days, then there would be a problem.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Thanks Wally,

I guess we are just not in the bee frame of mind yet.
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

Yes!! Thanks Wally. I now understand how they keep all the brood warm. They keep the HIVE temperature warm. I heard it being said but now I understand. This is all so exciting. :D
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Hmmmm intresting comment L&H.
Maybe its the other way around, the hive is warm from the bees keeping the brood warm. I dont't think they can warm the hive when it gets "Bee Cold" but they will warm the brood to the extent they have bodies or workers to generate heat. At least thats my understanding. :?
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

Ski, that is what I mean. I just thought the comb and the bees stayed warm while the air inside the hive would become "chilled". I didn't know the hive temp would be warmer also. Is this not what Wally was saying? He said the BOX would stay at 60 degrees. I assume that means the air in the hive. Let me know if this is right or if you can understand what I am saying. How many bees do you think your hive has??
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Obviously there is a lot going on when you are talking about hive temp regulation.
There have been studies showing that the temps inside a hive can reach freezing depending on the temperature outside.
What matters is the cluster temperature when it comes to brood rearing.

Kurt
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Hey guys

I think we are saying the same thing with different thoughts and words. The bottom line is as Kurt indicated the cluster temp and keeping the brood warm. Wally's point was reality in that it will be cold for us some plants will take a hit but not a big deal for the bees. Daytime highs in the 50's they will be back foraging during the day. My hopes were that it may slow the egg laying down a bit or minimize the swarming.
I don't know how many bees in the hive. Is there a good way of estimating?
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

I see. What matters most is the temp surrounding the brood. That is what I originally thought. Thanks Kurt.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

OK just to sum up and close the loop.

The cooler weather we are about to have will NOT delay swarming or affect egg laying.
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

That was funny Ski. I agree, we are all saying about the same thing. Good to hear that a liitle cold spell at night is not a worry, to the bees that is, but I put out my squash plants last week thinking that we wouldn't see temps this low again. :roll: Now I must turn my attention to the garden. :?