Buckwheat

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Pharmacyman
Forager

Buckwheat

Post by Pharmacyman »

In July I bought a pound of buckwheat seed, cleared a place in our garden, spread the seed, and just watered it once. That's all the care I gave it. It came up and bloomed in no time. My bees are going after this nectar with a vengeance. I won't harvest any buckwheat honey, but just did this to provide nectar during the dearth. The nice thing is it blooms during our dearth and as I said, my bees are all over it!
20240822_104703a.jpg
20240822_104703a.jpg (211.04 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
Last edited by Pharmacyman on Thu Aug 22, 2024 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: Buckwheat

Post by Jacobs »

I have some bees on a farm in Brown Summit. If things work out, the owner will be planting about 3/4 acre of buckwheat. I plan to have 2-3 hives nearby along with the ones already there. The current hives are within range, but will have further to travel if the buckwheat produces honey. We are aiming for late April. It will be fun to see if the bees near the buckwheat produce a different honey from the others. This should be going on during the nectar flow, so I doubt I would get buckwheat honey under the best conditions; a more robust blend would be just fine.
Pharmacyman
Forager

Re: Buckwheat

Post by Pharmacyman »

I understand it produces a very dark, thick honey almost like Molasses. I wonder if after he plants that 3/4 acre, you could get a second harvest too? One in the fall that is made of just buckwheat honey? If that happens, I would like to buy a jar. I would like to see what it tastes like.