Trapping bees from a house

Bee related information that doesnt fit any where else

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Wally
Guard bee

Trapping bees from a house

Post by Wally »

I will be setting a trap for a colony in a house in Greensboro Friday. Any one interested in watching or helping is invited. I expect it to take a few weeks to complete the trapout, so there may be a few opportunities for some nice photos.
If interested, call me at 336-302-2708.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

No interest???
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

Plenty of interest. I will be at work though. When will the opportunities for some nice photos be??? I would like to go and see it sometime. I would only be able to go on the weekend though. Saturdays would be best for me. 8)
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Intrest here as well, we will be renting a paint sprayer and spray painting our ceiling. lol Guess which one I would rather be doing. We still have bare sub floors and stuff in a rented storage unit. :cry:
Ron Young
Guard bee

Tried to plan for it

Post by Ron Young »

Wally,

I tried to plan for it, however, as always my two days off from the fire station went down hill fast. I have spent two days running and have not gotten anything accomplished. Some days I feel like a golf cart on wet grass, simply spinning and not going any place.

How did the trap out go? I suppose that you placed brood in a box outside the trap-out cone? What are the chances of the queen recognizing something wrong, when no bees are coming back into the colony, and her coming out as well and going to the brood? Does this ever happen, or do you alway count on the bees raising a queen?

I would have loved to been there, for I am sure it would have answered a ton of questions.
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

Wally.....please post soon. I too am very interested in how it turned out. When would be another opportunity to get some good pics???
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

Wally.....please post soon. I too am very interested in how it turned out. When would be another opportunity to get some good pics???
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

I removed a frame of bees, eggs, open larva, capped pupa from one of my hives. Kurt, thanks for the glass carrier I won at the meeting, it works great for carrying one frame of bees. I erected scaffolding up to the entrance and drilled a 1 1/2 in. hole in the wall to give a flat surface on which to install the funnel. I then installed the funnel, filled the large entrance with cloth and capped with aerosol foam. I then placed the frame of bees in the catch hive and sat it as close as possible to the funnel. The bees begin going in within 3 to 4 minutes.
When I left an hour later, I estimated there were about 3 frames of bees in the box, and another 500 trying to decide where to go.

I will go back Monday or Tuesday to see how they are doing. I expect to have a box full then and have to start another one with another frame of eggs and brood. Any time I am going to be there, you are welcome to come and take photos, as long as it is limited to about two people per visit.