Mite count

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

ski
Guard bee

Mite count

Post by ski »

Monitor, monitor, monitor for mites.

I have a screened bottom board that has the board that can be inserted below the screen. I cut a piece of plastic to fit the insert and drew some squares on it with a Sharpie pen. I sprayed the plastic with Pam the cooking spray (the kind with flour lol). I put the plastic on the board and inserted it below the screened bottom to get a mite count. Hopefully tomorrow I can remove the insert and check for mites and hopefully only find 1 or 2. Somehow I think there will be more. But think LOW.

Interesting to note is that there were 15-20 bees that spent the night on the bottom (outside) of the screen a few died and others were fine. They were running around on the outside of the screen it was fun to watch. With my head on the ground I could also see the bees coming in the entrance and going up into the frames and just a lot of activity. I had to brush the bees off the screen before I put the insert in.

May need some advice depending on the mite count. But I am leaning toward the sugar method. Any comments?
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

I like the fgmo and thymol fogging. Easier, quicker, and less disturbing to the bees.
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

Good luck with the mite count. Wally, you were suppose to hook me up with a link or some info on the fogger method. I am VERY interested in doing it. I am going to try to be "Organic" when I get everything figured out. Ski, have you read about the powder sugar method to control mites? NOT to check for mites but to treat for mites. That may be the method I use. I have bought some APILIFE???? to use for mite control. It is suppose to be all natural. I would like to know how many Organic or Natural Beekeepers have had a problem with CCD.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

Any prefered sites for a fogger??? I just realized that tonight was the meeting for GCBA!!!!!!! :cry: Too late to make it. I WILL be there next month.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Your not late. THere is no meeting tonight. We wil meet April 21 for field day.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

L&H
Here is the sugar treatment method. It would disrupt the bees a lot. But for one hive seems simple. But need to do it a few times over 3-4 weeks which means more disruptions
I need to read more.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200973
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

Thanks Ski. I feel better. :D Tell me more about the Field Day please. I was wondering why all the activity on a meeting night. The info I get about the powder sugar treatment was on BeeMaster forum. They seem to have a lot of success with it. Use a sifter and your done. One coat per hive, once a week, for three to four weeks. Twice a year. Not saying I will do it but like I said earlier, I want to be chemical free. I really want to read and try the fogging method. Ecspecially knowing someone personally who does it. :D
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Good news I was only able to find 2 mites on the "Pam" sticky board. I am going to hold off on any treatments.
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

Great news Ski. :D When will be your next check on the mites? Since I don't have a screened bottom board I am assuming that I will have to do a powdered sugar shake. Is this the only other option??
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Lots of options but the powdered sugar is extremely effective and does not necessarily harm the bees.
This time of year, the bees will outgrow the mites. The queen is laying so many eggs that the build up is more than even the mites can handle.
When the queen starts reducing her laying in the summer is when you really need to be concerned. Less bees and more mites = trouble.

Kurt
Ron Young
Guard bee

The meeting

Post by Ron Young »

Glad to know that I and four others were not the only ones that thought that meeting was Tuesday night. We hung around for about 25 minutes and decided that the meeting was canceled.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

L&H
I am going to try and do another mite check in about 2-3 weeks just to get in the habit of doing them. Let us know how your test goes.
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

Since nobody posted any other way, I will do a sugar shake when the weather warms up and the wind dies down. Maybe next week. I will read up on mite checks and find the easiest way to do it. If there are any other ways to do it, let me know. I do not have a screened bottom board.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

The sugar shake is, in my opinion, the easiest and best way. It is also the way Don Hopkins, your state inspector, does it.
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

Then sugar shake it is.