Supers

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Locust&Honey

Supers

Post by Locust&Honey »

I would like for some info on something that I don't quite understand yet. Everyone I talk to said that you need a super full of honey on the hive for them to make it through the winter. What size super??? Or is it by weight?? Now, how do you judge which super to leave for them?? Is it the last one?? Or do most of you guys feed them over the winter??? I would really like to get this figured out. I would like to hear from ALL you guys even if they are all different. I feel like sometimes once one of the pro's chime in then the other won't. Maybe I am wrong. If I am, sorry pro's I didn't mean no harm.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Thats a good question L&H.
I would like to hear that information from the experienced guys as well.

The bits and pieces that I have are that you winter in one deep or deep and medium depending on strength of colony. I have also heard that somewhere between 40 and 60 lbs of honey is required for winter.

BUT thats just stuff I have heard or read and may NOT relate to this area.
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

Yes Ski. That is all I know about it too. I am not too clear. I wonder if the total pounds of honey includes the honey in their hive body as well. I was under the impression that it was on top of what they had. Like I said, I am not sure about it.
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Sure wish Wally would hurry up and answer! :wink:
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can't get out that easy...... MR. PRESIDENT!!!! :lol:
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

HONEY!!!! I thought everybody robbed all the honey and fed them 60 lbs. of sugar water. :P :shock:

They will consume 30 to 60 lbs. of stores, depending on the weather and size of hive. They don't care whether it is in the super or hive body. They will put it where they want it. It's personal preference as to a single story, story and a half, or two story. I prefer two story to make it easier to split or a stronger build up if you don't split.

Just ask Ron Young. He went with two story and now has 3 hives his first spring.
the kid

Post by the kid »

I know that must be what they need but it seems like a lot ...60 pounds is 5 gals ( 12 pounds to a gal ) or am I wrong ???? but then they should get what ever it takes ,,, look what they give ,, so much fun....
the kid
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

From 30 to 60, Kid. Think 60,000 strong hive in a warm winter when there is some brood being raised all year. Most winters and most hives, around 40 lbs. Also, take in the fact that a cold wet spring with heavy brood rearing and you may use even more before the bees can begin to replace it.

I was including the extremes for both the weather and the hive strength.
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

I concur!
Of course the interesting thing is that you can have a colony starve to death even with honey left in the hive.