New trap out

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Wally
Guard bee

New trap out

Post by Wally »

I'll be starting a trap out 2 blocks off Wendover Friday noon if anyone wants to help. TJ, that shouldn't be too far away from your house. If you want to check on them every few days and make any adjustments they need, it will save me many miles and we will use your hive so you can keep the bees. I will supply the egg frame if you don't have one to spare.
Ron Young
Guard bee

I will be at the fire station

Post by Ron Young »

Wally,

I will be at the fire station on Friday.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

I can lend a hand. I can bring the "rookie cone" if needed.
Ski
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Ski, I can't use the "rookie cone" or one of mine. It has to be a special made cone. If you want to come down to the shop tomorrow morning, you can help me build it. It has to have about an 8 inch opening on the base.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Wally,
What time would be good to come by the shop.

Definition of "Rookie Cone"
Wally helped me build a cone for the trap out at Forest Oaks. The trapout is complete. So this is now the Rookie Cone. So if any rookies would like to borrow the cone for a trapout let us know.

Ski
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

from 9 to 11. I'll be there all morning.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

OK, I will plan on about 9:30.

Ski
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Ski has made the special funnel. We are ready to start at 11:30 Friday morning. "Tomorrow".

TJ, Where are you?
John Sabat
Forager

Post by John Sabat »

Could someone PM me with the address as I would like to observe.
Thank, John
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

It's no secret, John.
322 D South Edwardia
Greensboro

From I-40, go toward town to Edwardia, turn left and go to the 300 block. Turn into the Edwardia Industrial complex. Go to the building on right, to last door. Says "Gingher" on building.
TJ
Forager

Post by TJ »

Sorry everyone haven't been on in a few days and didn't see the message. Hi Wally, It's Saturday about 12noon and I will go by this afternoon and check it out and report back on the forum tonight. I want to see this special cone! TJ
TJ
Forager

Post by TJ »

Hi everyone. Went to the trapout today around 1:30pm. I was with the Bs about 15 min. I didn't see one B coming out of the cone. There was a small bunch on top of the cone, but most were going in and out of the hive, or in the hive. It looks like you have them all. They were slightly active. You can see by the pics that there was one heavy frame (brood) and 2 more with active Bs on them. It looks like they've adopted the little ones. Here are the pics below, I just signed up for photobucket, and I hope I've copied the right URLs. Click on picture for closeup. If you need me to drop in again, just let me know Tracey :lol:

Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Thanks, TJ. I will be meeting the manager tomorrow morning at eleven to go in the building and see if they are getting to the inside. There isn't enough bees in the box for it to be finished. If that is all there is, than the hive was doomed to begin with.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Checked the trap at 11 this morning. 5 to 6 frames of bees and none inside the building.

Everything looking good.
TJ
Forager

Post by TJ »

That's great....So they were just being shy when I was there. Sneaky. Do you want me to go by again, possibly Tuesday 1pm?
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Only for your own benefit. You are welcome to go by whenever you want in order to watch their progress and learn trapping out. There is an ex-beek working there who will be watching it for me during work hours.
Thanks for the offer.
Wally
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

I removed the cone last weekend to allow them to rob out the honey in the building. I picked up the hive tonight. Ten full frames of bees. I'll go into them tomorrow and check for a queen.
TJ
Forager

Post by TJ »

How do you know they won't go back into the building permanently? Is it because they have new brood in box now that's there's, and any other brood in building would be hatched out or dead?