expalin a trap out for me please.

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

yoyo
Newbee

expalin a trap out for me please.

Post by yoyo »

I understand the how part, just put a funnel over the only entrance and the bees can't get back inside. What else do you have to do? What about the queen? What about the honey comb? I might need to do a trap out but not sure.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Hey yoyo

I am a newbee but have helped with a couple of trap outs.
Yes you put a cone over the last or only entrance. You also put a hive body with at least one frame of eggs and the rest foundation. The hive body's landing board or entrance is located as close to the base of the cone as you can get it.
When the bees are at the base of the cone and can't get back in they will, I have seen it, go into the hive body. It may take some time 10-15-20 minutes. They will be attracted by the frame of eggs and will start entering the hive body.

What about the queen?
You may or may not get the queen. But they have eggs so they can raise their own queen. The queen may also swarm with the remaining bees.

What about the honey comb?
Since you are doing a trapout that says you were not able to do a cut out for what ever reason. Maybe they are inside a brick wall that cannot be torn down or the owner says NO to tearing his building apart. The honey comb will remain inside. However if you trap all the bees out and they like their new home after a period of time you can remove the cone and the bees will go back and rob the honey out of their old home.

Hope this answered some of your questions.
Ski