Any suggestions for action

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Not a single drone or drone cell. I hope my neighbor's hives have drones, or I'm in trouble.
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

Why are they building these queen cells??? Do they have a queen? Did you do a split?? Are they just way ahead of themselves???
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Don Hopkins (State apiarist) has reported drone sightings in some of the hives he has been inspecting. But not Many! :shock:
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

I don't know why, and they won't tell me. If they are superceding, I may be in trouble.
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

Wally, I finally found something you didn't know. :wink: Or are you holding out with this valuable info??
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

WOW, talk about a nice way to call someone a know-it-all. :D

When it comes to bees, I don't think anyone knows even 10%.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Wally knows bees! I went into my hive and saw at best a baseball sized number of workers. I looked in the honey supers like he told me and went to the areas with the most bees. The second honey super farthest from the brood area had center cells cleaned out but nothing in them yet. The first honey super above the deep and medium brood area had the same cleared out area, but I saw the queen with her blue mark. The brood pattern is scattered but there is capped brood and some larvae--not a lot, but not a lot of bees to care for them. I'll keep my fingers crossed.