Bee Poop?

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

optlock

Bee Poop?

Post by optlock »

My Brother and I installed 6 bee packages yesterday. After installing all six hives I noticed that the bees had pooped all over the back of my brothers new bee suit. I just wanted to make sure that this was not a sign of anything that I should worry about. Is it? I was of the opinion that this was just because they were stressed from being in the package for a long period.

Thanks for any help
Brian
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

There has been a recent posting on the Beesource forum about this. You can access it by the link on our club home page. The gist of what I got was that it was probably just stress and being cooped up, but that you should keep an eye on it, and if they don't slow the pooping, treat for nosema.
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Almost assuredly nothing to worry about. Any time bees are confined they will relieve themselves ASAP.
Ron Young
Guard bee

Bee Poop on Cars

Post by Ron Young »

I am well versed in bee poop. I have my two hives in the back of my 1 acre yard, and the house is 150-175 feet away. It just so happens that the straight line of flight from my hives, goes directly over my driveway. My cars are a fine sight, especially after the rainy days we have had.

Have not been on the forum in a while, but am glad to be back. Even if it is on a computer that is on life support.