queen excluder

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

drewgrim
Guard bee

queen excluder

Post by drewgrim »

i have heard mixed reviews about the queen excluder. what does everybody say?

also when they say to leave 60 pounds of honey for winter, is that a super of honey or is that the second hive body?
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

As for queen excluders, it is all about how you wish to mangage your bees.
If you don't mind brood in your honey and wax moth destrying your comb, then leave the excluders off. Let's face it, bees do not like queen excluders! Bees will move up more rapidly if there are no restrictions.
I run excluders because it provides my customers a cleaner honey without extra work on my part.
My bees are working like crazy putting honey up right now.
If your honey supers have brood comb in them, it will act as a wax moth attractant. I store all of my supers out in the open without the use of any chemicals or controls, so it must be pure wax to deter moths.
If I was just beginning or a casual beekeeper, I would not use them.
A super of honey and some in the brood chamber is adequate for winter stores.
You can always feed if necessary.

Kurt
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

Kurt,

Have you ever had a queen in the brood, the excluder and then a queen above or would the bees attempt this? I caught a swarm, put them in the brood, added an excluder, and one honey super. I briefly opened the honey super and there was larvae in the honey super. I ran out of sunlight so did not look in the brood and will check it this weekend.

I was curious if the two could have seperate queens in this scenario.

I prefer the excluder for pure honey as well
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Yes!
What you are describing is basically what you would do wth a double screen board. http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/pr ... number=694
This allows for 2 queens and perhaps even more effecitvely since the workers can unite.

Kurt
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

hmmm...o.k. if this is the case so I leave it alone or pull the top and start another hive???

I was hoping to spin with pure honey and no larvae, etc..

recommendations are appreciated.