Greensboro NC Beekeeping Ordinance discussion

Postings related to current events or news about honey bees and beekeeping

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Jacobs
Guard bee

Greensboro NC Beekeeping Ordinance discussion

Post by Jacobs »

Please make an effort to attend the May 13th meeting. I would like to get together with anyone interested in beekeeping in Greensboro to help plan a course of action. Brian Talbert was recently denied a zoning variance and has to remove his hives. He is planning to ask City Council to amend the ordinance so we do have to face potential change. I have talked to Brian and he is planning to attend this meeting of the club.

I would like to meet with folks briefly in a way that won't interfere with the Jack Tapp presentation.

If you cannot make the meeting but have some ideas/concerns, I can ususally be reached at home in the evenings at (336) 299-7955.

Rob Jacobs
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

It was nice talking with Greensboro beekeepers and other concerned beekeepers Tuesday night. If you have had a chance to read the information I handed out and have any suggestions, please email me at RobertJJacobs@aol.com and use the subject line "Ordinance." If your mailing gets caught by the spam filter I will be able to recognize it and read it rather than deleting it.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

O.K. folks, how about emailing me at RobertJJacobs@aol.com with your thoughts. Brian Talbert has said he is going forward now and will be asking for changes in both the beekeeping and chicken requirements. Clearly, I am interested in the beekeeping ordinance and want to know your thoughts. If you have general comments fine, or specific comments about the memo I handed out at the last meeting, let me hear from you. I would prefer to have general information on the public forum board, but wants, desires, fears expressed in e-mails or private messages.

Thanks.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Brian has a meeting scheduled for next week with the director of the City planning department and has invited me to attend. I plan on being there. This is not the public meeting but will be the start of the process leading to changes in the bee ordinance. Please e-mail me if you have any thoughts.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Bee Ordinance Draft

Post by Jacobs »

I'm not sure when Brian received the proposed changes to the bee/chicken ordinance, but I e mailed it to those who gave me an e mail address. If you want to see it, e mail me at RobertJJacobs@aol.com. Brian says it will go before City Council in August, but I have not seen it on the planning board agenda yet.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I hope to see folks at tomorrow night's meeting. I have e mailed my comments along with the Staff recommendation version and the "citizen's" request versions of the revised Ordinance that will go before the Planning Board on July 16th at 2:00 p.m. (Council Chambers, Melvin Municipal Building)
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

There seems to be doubt in some people's minds as to whether they should make that meeting with you or not. Do you want those of us outside Greensboro and Guilford County to show up just for support?

I know the answer, but some want to hear it direct from you.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I think it would be helpful to have people attend. I don't know how much input I will be allowed to have or anyone else, but it certainly doesn't hurt to let the city planners know there is interest and concern and that we want to make beekeeping more available to city dwellers. Don Hopkins, the North Carolina apiary inspector expressed his interest in this issue both at the State meeting this past weekend and at our last county meeting. He has had more calls this year from municipalities about bee ordinances than before. While most want to help beekeepers and expand the availability of beekeeping, he did express some concern that new ordinances be based on rational information and not just vague concerns.

Even if you do not live in Greensboro it may be helpful to us and to you to see how this process works in case ordinances get proposed or slated for change in your areas.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

I don't live in Greensboro so I will be watching you guys do all the talking. But I am a beekeeper and a warm body so I will be there.

July 16th at 2:00 p.m. (Council Chambers, Melvin Municipal Building)