swarm risk???

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Ron Young
Guard bee

swarm risk???

Post by Ron Young »

What is the swarm risk this time of year? The one hive that had 3 swarms has finally recovered in population and is now bearding one full deep and half of the second deep.
Ron Young
Guard bee

Vacation Time

Post by Ron Young »

I am guessing everyone is on vacation. I did learn today that swarm season is not over. I went out to Groometown Road and caught a small swarm, probably half a hat in size. I don't expect them to make it.

They acted wierd. Every swarm I have caught, to include two in a five gallon buckt, all had bees fanning at the entrance, or on the screen covering the bucket. These bees did not do a lot of fanning. Once I brushed them off of the side of a Pin Oak Tree into the front of the hive, they continued to run up and down the tree for about twenty minuets. When I left, there were a littlel more than a dozen bees on the tree and most were in the box.

It truly was a small swarm. I will see what they do. The one hive that I have that is now bearding, may donate a hive of brood to the five frame.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Mine are bearding too. Last night at about 8:00 p.m. I looked out and saw the air full of bees. I did not see them coming out of any hive and all of my hives still had lots of bearding and bees. These landed about 10 feet up in a dogwood tree and formed approximately a softball size cluster. I got them into an old deep with 9 undrawn frames and one drawn medium (the only spare drawn comb I have). I put about a quart of 1:1 sugar water in a top feeder and put on an entrance reducer with about 4 inches open. As of 6:30 a.m., they are still there and are fanning outward. Hopefully they will stay. I am assuming they swarmed from one of my hives.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Good size beards on most of my hives as well, as far as swarming, 2 of mine swarmed last week. I think the spring swarms swarmed.
They are now hives # 7 and # 8. I am trying to decide whether to try and carry 8 through the winter and share a few of whats left in the spring or get rid of a few now. I am not sure anyone would be interested in picking up any hives this time of the year.
Ron Young
Guard bee

Hope I do Not Have Another

Post by Ron Young »

I hope I do not have another swarm. I would hope that three swarms in one season is enough to satisfy there need to swarm. In additon to the swarm that I went and got off of Groometown Road on Monday, I know of one other in the Guilford College area. In fact, it was right behind the station that I am at, and the guy is from Romania I do believe. He captured most of it, but there was still a good hat full of bees on the limb where they had settled. I don't know if he got the queen or not. (a bit of a communication barrier) My Russian and Romanian Dialect is a bit rusty. :D
Ron Young
Guard bee

I am queen right in both hives

Post by Ron Young »

Well, I went into the hives today. I did not spend much time, but I did find a good brood pattern on three or so frames in the second deep of each hive. The weaker hive has a really good pattern on several frames, and much of it is eggs on two frames. Did not see a queen, but I know she was there at least three days ago. The stronger hive had some empty queen cups, but these bees have always maintained a few empty cups. I guess it is a comfort blanket for them.

Will a colony force a queen to lay in an empty cup?

I did not see any large issue with mites. All the bees appear healthy, with no clipped wings, or wing damage. I do not plan on going back into them until sometime in the fall. Does that sound too relaxed, or am I finally getting over wanting to be in them once a week?
Ron Young
Guard bee

The Swarm From Groometown Rd.

Post by Ron Young »

I went into the swarm that I got off of Groometown Road today. They have been in the hive for one week and one day. They have about 1/3rd of a frame on one side pulled out. They are putting sugar syrup in the cells, as well as pollen. There are a few eggs, and one or two cells has double eggs in them.

I know this can be either a young queen, or laying workers. I did not see a queen, but she could have hid on the side of the hive. They are pulling out two queen cups. I did not see anything in them though.

What is the opinion.

1. Laying worker?
2. Young queen?

I was also wondering if anyone had any questions about a colony forcing a queen to lay in a queen cup?

The swarm will have to cap some brood and let me see that they are queenright before I rob a frame of brood to give them. No need robbing Peter to pay Paul if Paul has cancer and is dying, right.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

I would say young queen. I don't think a hive will develop laying workers in a week.
Ron Young
Guard bee

Kind of what I was thinking

Post by Ron Young »

Kind of what I was thinking. I just did not know how long they had been out of a hive environment.