Insurance +

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

cundald

Insurance +

Post by cundald »

I have been advised, since I will be keeping some beehives off my property, to look into liability insurance.

Can anyone recommend an insurance company that has good rates.

Also, I read something about becoming a LLC. How do you go about doing this and how else can I go about protecting myself.

cundald
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

As a beekeeper, you may fall into a category via farming that would exempt you from liability from bees.
I keep bees all over and have not secured insurance.
Obviously, I keep my bees in locations not easily accessed thus doing my part to protect the general public.
I think you should talk to a pollinator about liability concerns. Jack Tapp with Busy Bee Apiaries would be my suggestion.
Most pollinators have contracts which should help eliminate liability from them.
As far a an LLC or S-corp, you can always see your accountant. You can also do this yourself with something like Legalzoom.com.
Once a corp you will have many benefits, but your tax prep fees will climb dramatically.
Are you going to do enough business to justify the expenses?

Kurt
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

To add Kurt's message. The cost for an LLC in North Carolina is $200 per year I believe. You can check the NC web site to confirm. That is allot of honey.