I Passed , I Passed

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

jae
Forager

I Passed , I Passed

Post by jae »

Dog gone I passed the beginners class. But they probably wouldn't fail you unless you didn't get any right. :P

They didn't say how many I missed or anything. I guess I'm good to go then,,,, like I wouldn't if I failed. My bees will be coming soon.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Congratulations Jae !!

Relax and enjoy the bees for a few months then start working on public credits and getting ready for the journeyman's exam.
Ski
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Ski, You're forgetting the practical. All the beginners need to get with their mentors and go into a hive or two before the picnic on May 2nd.

They need to know how to light a smoker, remove the outer frame first, recognize drone brood, drone, queen cell, queen, worker cell, worker, honey, capped and uncapped, and pollen. They must also be protectively dressed to their own comfort. IE...Stopping in the middle of the inspection to don more gear will cause them to fail. Also, lighting a smoker more than a time or two will also be a fail. It must stay lit.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Wally,
Thats right you don't get your Certified BEEKEEPER certificate until you pass the practical and Field day is approaching fast.
The practical sounds tougher then I remember. But getting with a mentor and inspecting a few hives before field day sounds like great advice. :)
sprayburn
Nursebee

Beginning Beekeeper practical

Post by sprayburn »

I second the suggestion of getting with your mentor. My thanks to Kyle for his kind and generous help. We had a great afternoon for checking two of his hives and I got some real hands on experience. And just a note here...take care of what Wally says about having to relight your smoker. Takes a bit more than I thought at first to get it going right.
jae
Forager

Post by jae »

OK then,,, I'm half the way there! Hopefully a trip or 2 over Wally's and I should have it in the bag.- Hope so anyway. :lol: :lol:
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

If you all read your newsletter you would have noticed no mention of a practical test.
I will be pushing the practical into September to give the beginners more time to familiarize themselves with the bees.

Kurt
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

No mention normally means things will be as usual. When changes are made, they are normally mentioned. There are a number of us who have been preparing for the practicals at the picnic. Any changes from the norm should have been announced.
jae
Forager

Post by jae »

We were told we would be going up to Reidsville in April to view someones bees and I thought do the Practical.
Was that ever announced it was canceled??? I didn't see it either. :shock:

I'm new to beekeeping and I think the more hands on before I get my bees the more I would understand about them. Am I wrong? :?:
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

News letter says:
Some of the associartions own Master Beekeepers will
provide a demonstration of hive manipulation and evalu-
ations will be provided to all levels of beekeepers.

I thought that meant the practical, but last year it did say be prepared to take the practical.
Kurt, Thanks for the post making it clear.

jae, I would agree more time with the bees should provide a better understanding and make the practical less stressful.

I think you can also take the written and practical at the bee conferences.
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

I have to get the practical tests from the state before being able to give them. I have found that almost all years having a practical at the field day found the beginners unprepared.
The officers and board felt it better not to have a practical at the field day this year.

Kurt