Swarm Season

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

No=-Bee's
Nursebee

Post by No=-Bee's »

I am off Monday and could possibly meet you out there. I will check with my wife to be sure that we do not have anything planned that I am not aware of. We are going to lunch at 12:00 over on the west side of town, so I will be out that way.

The swarm most often does not produce surplus, what about the original colony where the swarm came from?
Ron, "Now with bees"
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

You can call me about 9 monday morning and I will let you know when I will be going up there. I have to check in at work and make sure everything gets stated off right before I can go. I never know how long that is going to take.
You have both my numbers in the post above, so call me between 8 and 10 monday morning.

The hive that I split before it swarmed 4 times has produced two supers so far this year.
No=-Bee's
Nursebee

Post by No=-Bee's »

Are the bees in a position that will allow you to get them? I am going to the beach next week, So things are pressed as far as time is concerned. I will not be in town for the July Beekeepers Meeting. I hope to get to the August one, just to meet some folks.
Ron, "Now with bees"
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

I'm going to try and remove them tommorrow, Thursday. If you are free, call me today or tonight and we can talk about time.
Wally
No=-Bee's
Nursebee

Post by No=-Bee's »

Hey Wally,

Hate I did not check this last evening. I have Madelyn today, and I am going to try and mow the yard. When I combine that combination, it usually takes all day, between watching her and keeping her occupied, and mowing in-between. Hope things turn out well. I don't think I ever gave you my phone number. 621-0448.

I don't know why that slipped my mind. :?:
Ron, "Now with bees"
No=-Bee's
Nursebee

Back in town

Post by No=-Bee's »

Hey Wally,

I am back in town. I was wondering if you were goiing to be doing anything wiht your bees this Saturday? Also, how is the swarm that moved into the Nuc Box doing. You said that they were developing a queen cell when you last checked them. Did you give them a frame of brood to work with? If a swarm looses the queen before they have brood are they doomed with out a purchased queen?
Ron, "Now with bees"
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

They are doing fine with two frames added.

A swarm that loses it's queen will normally go back to the mother hive.

I have got to talk to a guy tonight that has bees in his hive in W.S. If I'm not taking them out Sat. I will be doing something else with bees. If you want to come down, we will play with bees some way or other.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

That was a typo. He has bees in his house, not hive. I have to take them out Saturday.

Ron, if you want to help me take them out of a wall in Winston-Salem Saturday, call me. 302-2708.
No=-Bee's
Nursebee

Bad Timing on my part.

Post by No=-Bee's »

Wally,

I wish I was going to be here. My Sister is coming in from Wisconsin to my parents in the mountains. I was going up to see her next week, but her plans have changed and they are not going to be staying through next weekend, so I am going up to see her. I would love to help you do that, for I have only seen one colony in a house in my life. I was about 11, and the bees were in the wall of a summer home near my parents. It was neat, because there were honey bees on one corner of a box window on the basement, and in the opposite corner of the same window, there were bumble bees. You could beat on the wall in the basement and here the bees buzz. I was easily drawn to that, and you could sit and watch the entrance behind glass. At that age, I really enjoyed it.

Maybe next time. Are you going to try and overwinter them, or will you combine them with another hive?
Ron, "Now with bees"
No=-Bee's
Nursebee

Post by No=-Bee's »

Wally,

What do you charge to take bees out of a house. I know someone that has bees in an abandoned house. Not sure if they want them removed or not, but I thought I would at least let them know what you charged.
Ron, "Now with bees"

Post by Guest »

Every job is different. If it is an easy removal and you want to get started, I may assist you in getting them into a hive. It just depends on the situation. I do some for free and I just priced one in Greensboro for 900.00. It's three hives in one wall. I never price one before I see it. If you gave me your number, I lost it. Call me.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Sorry, I forgot to log in before I posted.
No=-Bee's
Nursebee

Saturday's Planned Removal

Post by No=-Bee's »

I am off Saturday and would like to tag along and be of what assistance I may. Give me a call if you are planning to remove the bees on Satureday and I will get the details and where to meet you.
Ron, "Now with bees"