Kurt, any date set for 2nd half of beekeepers test?

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

jae
Forager

Kurt, any date set for 2nd half of beekeepers test?

Post by jae »

For those of us that took the beekeepers class this past Feb. were told the hands on part would be in Sept. I have some traveling plans to make and need to know when the testing will be so I can hopefully be there. Just wondering why it was not scheduled closer to the written test? It's been so long ago I almost forgot about it. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. :?:
SmithN
Guard bee

Post by SmithN »

Kurt decided to wait until September to give the practical test to give the beginners more time to familiarize themselves with the bees and working in a hive.
Everyone has an opinion, this is mine.
Norma :)
SmithN
Guard bee

Post by SmithN »

Before taking the practical you need to know....
how to light a smoker, remove the outer frame first,
recognize drone brood, drone, queen cell,
queen, worker cell, worker, honey,
capped and uncapped, and pollen.
Everyone has an opinion, this is mine.
Norma :)
jae
Forager

Post by jae »

This time of year how much brood cell, drone cell do you think you're going to find? If there are any drone even in the hive in Sept. Should find a lot of capped honey. Queen cells? Not likely.
This is my opinion but what do I know, LOL - I think this late in the year is not the time for the hands on but in the spring when things are really going on in the hive and not a lot of bees to work around. Lighting a smoker is the least of the importance as you will get on to it in time and is no biggie. If mine goes out I'm done looking around in the hive anyway. I'm just a first year beekeeper and don't know much at all. :wink:
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

I am meeting with the board tonight and should firm up the practical test date.
I think you would see most everything in a hive this time of year and even possibly some queen cells as I saw some in one of my hives the other day.
There are always surprises inside each hive.

Kurt