pollen

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

drewgrim
Guard bee

pollen

Post by drewgrim »

is it to early to start feeding pollen? what is the best way to feed the bee pollen. last year i made patties and put it on top of the frames, but they never really ate any.
specialkayme
Forager

Post by specialkayme »

Any time after the winter solstice is fine to feed them pollen. But as Wally will probably tell you, once you start you can't stop. So yes you can give them pollen.

I prefer to make patties, but I know others that liquid feed, and others that dry feed. It's really a matter of preference.

Consumption will depend on need in relation to stores, need in relation to supply, and need in relation to the type of pollen you are providing. I know some bees that would prefer no pollen at all compared to some stuff.

But if you wait to long, the bees will go find their own pollen, and they will prefer that to anything you give them.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Is anyone seeing Red Maple in bloom? My bees are bringing in a goodly amount of pollen and have been showing much less interest in the brewers yeast pollen substitute they have been so fond of over the last 2-3 weeks.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Another pollen indicator--I have had two people call me through the Ag Center in the last week looking for local honey for their allergies. Last year I didn't have the pollen substitute out to be able to place this kind of call so accurately with the bees moving from the substitute to the natural pollen.

If you do have LOCAL honey to sell, you may want to post it on our wanted/for sale section of the forum board with contact information. That way I can direct callers to a source.