new swarms

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Kurt Bower
Guard bee

new swarms

Post by Kurt Bower »

Just curious if anyone has seen or heard of any swarming in the area?
I believe that the bees are a couple of weeks late in building up but could see the bees swarming in a few weeks.

Kurt
John Sabat
Forager

Swarms

Post by John Sabat »

Kurt,
I came through the winter with 11 of 11 hives and all fairly strong. I am keeping an eye on all my hives as I have not gone in and inspected for queen cells. I have added supers and hope this keeps the swarms down.
John
Go Army Beat Navy
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

I inspected a "one deep, one medium", very strong hive today. No cells in it yet. I expect cells to be made the end of this week, if it hits the 80's, as predicted. Swarms within 10 days after Easter is my guess.
mike91553
Guard bee

Post by mike91553 »

I checked in a fairly strong hive today and robbed some brood for a weak nuc. They were not crowded enough to build swarm cells yet but had an ample supply of capped drone cells and a good number of big adult drones.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Wally alerted me to try and help one of our club members with a swarming hive today in Greensboro. These were Russian bees that overwintered and were strong going into Spring. When I arrived a primary swarm had left its resting place and was about 50 or 60 feet in the air and settled at that level in a neighbor's tree. Good bye bees. The originating hive still had significant worker bee activity and drones flying in and out.