What would be the norm

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

old-dog
Newbee

What would be the norm

Post by old-dog »

I installed a new package on 4-10-2010. On 4-14 the Queen had been released didnt see any eggs or the Queen had some comb drawn and necture and pollen stored. On 4-17 rechecked hive found queen and eggs alot of eggs one single egg in cells all looked good. on 4-22 I plan on checking hive what would be the norm to find how many frames should be drawn and what should I see and on average how much of it thanx in advance'
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

As with any animal or insect, the norm is always different.
If you are feeding constantly and the bees are doing their jobs I would think that you should have 6-8 frames of drawn comb.
As for the rest, the frames will be a combination of pollen, nectar and brood.
Keep feeding if they are taking the sugar syrup and be ready to give them additional room as needed.

Kurt
old-dog
Newbee

Post by old-dog »

Thanx for the reply
old-dog
Newbee

Post by old-dog »

Checked the bees today they have 4 frames of brood,eggs,larva and pollen drawn out and starting on the fifth frame. What is funny is the way they are doing it they started on one end and or going in order 12345. Working thire way across most they say start in the middle. But every thing looks good on the home front got to pick up my nuc hive on the 30th. I am really having fun with this sometimes I sit in a chair next to the hive and watch the bees go in and out.
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

I would consider moving them over to the middle of the box. I believe that by giving them room on either side they will draw comb more quickly.