Plastic Brood Frames

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Doug Shaw
Nursebee

Plastic Brood Frames

Post by Doug Shaw »

I have some 3 year old plastic brood frames that have a thin wax coating on them. Got them from Mann Lake. Knowing some do not like plastic at all I was wondering if these would work given their age. They have never been used. Is there anything I should do to make them more attractive to the bees? I was thinking of spraying them with sugar water before installing a package on to them. Also thought of mixing them in between some new un-drawn wax foundation frames.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

They will use the wax if they have a chance. The only way they will use plastic is if it is all they have. Do not mix it.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I remember Kurt saying that he melted beeswax and painted it on the plastic foundation to encourage the bees to draw out the plastic. I have not had trouble getting them to draw medium plastic foundation, but have had trouble with the deeps. I have painted some deep foundation but don't have strong enough hives to put these in to try and get them drawn.
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Rob is correct about the plastic foundation.
Medium's seem to be well waxed while deep frames seem to need a little help.
I have not had any problems with bees drawing plastic and age is not a consideration.

Kurt
Doug Shaw
Nursebee

Post by Doug Shaw »

Thanks for the good info.