Losses and honey

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

p51d
Guard bee

Losses and honey

Post by p51d »

I wanted to see how everyone was doing this year.

So far, I have lost 7 of 10 hives over the winter and even now. Russians, italians, swarms. Strong hives, well taken care of, and within a couple of weeks, they are gone.

Honey production over the last three years continued to decline for me.

I am about ready to throw in the towel.

Just curious of it was just me and a couple of other beekeepers in the area. They have the same issues.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Throwing in the towel? Piffle!

This has been a hard couple of years for most of us. 2009 was a "no nectar-no honey" year, and if you did not feed you lost a lot of hives to starvation. In our area, the 2009-2010 Winter was colder than average and longer. I lost a few of my hives and would have lost the majority if I had not had one strong hive that I used to boost numbers in several weak ones in early Spring. Even though I monitored for varroa mites and treated in the Fall I think the hives that were the most problematic were the ones with higher mite counts after treatment and going into Winter. As the overwintering bees aged out and died, the extended cold weather slowed the queens from early Spring build up and hives dwindled. I think a national survey for this past Winter showed about a 35% hive loss.

My strong hives made some honey, but the majority of mine were not strong enough during the flow, but have since recovered. My plan for this Fall is to treat for nosema, monitor and treat for varroa in early to mid August, and to follow Kurt Bower's advice and combine weaker hives into stronger ones in the Fall to increase overwintering chances and to be in a position to make nucs/splits from the survivors in the Spring, if I need to increase numbers or replace lost hives.

It would help if you would put your location in your profile since all beekeeping is "local." You don't have to be a member of Guilford County Beekeepers to join and post to this forum.
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

I am a GCBA member in southern Guilford county. The storm prevented me from making the meeting on overwintering.

ended up buying Russians last year and babied two hives for a year in particular, as well as my other hives. Early spring when Ray was at the meeting, one died away. The other was strong to about two weeks ago and then poof. So, lots of work and nothing to show for it.

Even with feeding and constant care, I am not so sure buying 50 lb bags of sugar at Sam's every month is worth it

Last year the flow I at least had some honey for labors. This year is way off. Not much to show for my time and efforts. I will split my remaining bees next year and see what happens. This year looks like a loss to me.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Quick deaths of hives might be from the newer form of nosema that we are dealing with--it does not produce the dysentery typical of nosema apis, but kills in a week to ten days. If you haven't been treating with Fumagilin-B, you might want to consider it.