Beetight: Free online bee hive tracking and record keeping

Postings related to current events or news about honey bees and beekeeping

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

TJ
Forager

Beetight: Free online bee hive tracking and record keeping

Post by TJ »

http://www.beetight.com/

I've started using this site to track my hive's activities and found it very useful so far. It is free for six hives or less and for a professional account of 1,000 hives it's $15/year. There are a lot of extra useful forms you can access with a paid membership but right now I am just using the free version. The fellow that has made this has just been up since early this year and is adding on new features as they are requested. Should really help keep the information in one place. Hope you find it useful, TJ
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

This application might be just the ticket for some beekeepers.
As for my personal 2 cents... I do not beleive that this will be the wave of the future. Recordkeeping is only as good as the record keeper. Information out only as good as information in. Most persons with more than a few hives will resist this due to the amount of time necessary. If you only add another few minutes to each hive but have 50-100 hives then you have added hours to your week. Hours which are non-value added.
Don't get me wrong, I wish the best to those who choose to use it. Everyone should have some form of record management. And as you have found, now there is an electronic way of doing it. I just hope the propolis doesn't gum up the smart phone!

Kurt
Newbee Jim
Nursebee

Post by Newbee Jim »

Kurt - What do you use for record keeping on your hives other than the brick method?
Jim
-I don't know what I don't know!
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Jim:

You got it!
THe ol' brick says it all. I used to try and track mites, mice and everything else but finally concluded that a brick properly placed can give you a read on a hive without ever getting out of the truck.
I am sure that if I was a queen breeder I would choose to take better notes but certainly not for what I do.

Kurt
michelle
Nursebee

Re: Beetight: Free online bee hive tracking and record keepi

Post by michelle »

So what is the brick method? I am assuming that it means positioning a brick on or in front of the hive to mean certain things? Can you break it down?

Thanks.

Michelle