northwest guilford hive

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

braswell
Nursebee

northwest guilford hive

Post by braswell »

I have bought out a guy that has an existing hive, I need to move them but they are on the outside the box and I don't want to kill those hanging on. We are going early in the am to see if they are inside, the hive must be moved because he is selling his house, any thoughts. bwell
Allergic
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

#1.. Open the hive and see if they are covering all frames. If so, add a box to give them space. If not, proceed to step 2.

#2.. Go at dusk and smoke lightly on the external bees. One or two puffs to begin. In 2 to 4 minutes, most will be inside. After about 4 minutes, a couple more puffs. Another 2 to 4 min. and all will be in, or so near it won't matter. A third light smoking may be needed. You may not get the last 5 or 10 bees, as they will still be arriving from the field, even at dark. There will also be a few left tomorrow, too, as some will stay out overnight. Those few are just lost in a move. It can't be helped.

I just moved one tonight with a quart or more bees on the front. I smoked them until all were in and loaded them.
drewgrim
Guard bee

Post by drewgrim »

once you get them in, i put a entrance closer on and duct tape it on. then you dont have to worry about them coming out while you are moving them.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

With screen bottom boards, that will work. Without ventilation, you will cook them in short order.
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Wally is absolutely right.
If you want your feelings hurt, just wait until you cook a couple of hives.
It is always preferable to move them with the entrance open if possible. The bees will not crowd the opening trying to get out and suffocate. Of course to do this you need to move them on the back of a truck.

Kurt
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

You can also move them in an SUV with your AC on high a screened inner cover and a moving net. Had a screened bottom board and closed the entrance up tight.
I have also read (not tried yet) that misting the bearding bees with cool water will run them back in the hive.

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Mo ... tinfo/985/