mold on inner cover

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

harleechik70
Newbee

mold on inner cover

Post by harleechik70 »

I opened my hive up yesterday to add some sugar syrup to my top feeder and noticed a stale smell immediately. Then I saw it--a little furry mold on the inner cover. I've propped the outer cover up a bit since the next few days will be warm and hopefully that will help freshen things up a bit. Any other ideas, suggestions, info. I need...???
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

If I understand correctly you put the standard inner cover on the hive top feeder and then the telescoping cover.

I have been using a screened inner cover with notches on top of the hive top feeder and have not had a problem with mold growing. Maybe it would work for you.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w45/ ... ers002.jpg
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Is anyone still selling hive top feeders?
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Yes, I use hive top feeders, "OR" inner covers, but never both at the same time.
harleechik70
Newbee

Re: mold on inner cover

Post by harleechik70 »

I got my top feeder from the guys that come to the meetings with the trailer--got it just a few months ago...
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I use hive top feeders and inner covers with the float style feeder like Brushy Mountain has. If the hive top feeder is the screened access type I do not use an inner cover. The bees cannot get out of the hive with the screened access feeders and cannot use the upper entrance that an inner cover can provide when using the float feeders.
mike91553
Guard bee

Post by mike91553 »

I have always put a screened inner cover on top of the hive top feeder. I think this is necessary in order to have adequate ventilation in the hive.