Shopping List for Two Packages I Ordered

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

michelle
Nursebee

Shopping List for Two Packages I Ordered

Post by michelle »

I am trying to make a shopping lists for my two packages I ordered. Here is what I have:
1. Hive tool, two
2. 10 frame medium super, 10 unassembled
3. 1 pair gloves
4. Universal Entrance Reducer, 2
5. 10 Frame Hive Top Feeder with Float, 2
6. 1 lb nails
7. Wood Glue
8. Paint or stain
9. 9 1/8 Frames Wedge top/groove bottom, unassembled, 100
10. 5 lb Box 4 3/4 Cut Comb (about 90 sheets)
11. Inner Cover, 2
12. Hive Outer Cover, 2
13. Smoker

Any suggestions, things I missed, things I don't need at first, whatever, please let me know.

Thanks for all your help!

Michelle
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

If you are going with medium boxes (6 5/8 inches) your foundation should be for the 6 1/4 inch frames. If I am reading your list right, you are looking at deep frames and shallow foundation (Items 9 & 10), neither of which will go with medium supers.

Also, I did not see bottom boards on your list, 1 per hive. I don't know that you need 2 hive tools, but they are inexpensive and easy to lose, so 2 wouldn't hurt.

If you are coming to the informal session Thursday night, you may want to compare 10 frame to 8 frame before deciding. I am bringing a medium with 10 frames of capped sugar water honey so that people can feel the weight. Triad will be bringing some 8 frame equipment so that we can transfer 8 of the 10 and folks can feel the difference.

Anyone else have suggestions?
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

I don't understand #2, #9, and #10. Please list how many deep boxes you plan for each hive, and how many mediums.
michelle
Nursebee

boxes

Post by michelle »

I am using only mediums because I do not think I can lift a full super. So I am getting 10 medium supers, since three will be for the bees (right?) and two to use for supers....

As for the frames sizes, I didn't know there was a difference. Thanks for that. I want to use comb so that the bees have less work to do on that end at first.

Ok, so again, what am I doing wrong....I read I need two bottom boards. Is that in addition to the IPM screened boards - I am confused :?:

Michelle
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I didn't see any kind of bottom board on your list. That is why I suggested the need. Whether you go with IPM screened or traditional solid bottom boards is your decision. I started with mostly IPM screened and am leaning toward going back to all solid bottom boards. Screened let me do mite counts with a sticky board. Now I am more comfortable opening the hive to do mite assessments, and I plan to get more comfortable doing sugar shake assessments this season. My subjective sense is that the bees are more hesitant to occupy frames and draw out comb in the deep with a screened bottom board that is open, and the queen may limit where she goes and lays on deep frames (? based on light coming in or temperature near the screen).
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

To sum it up.

You need two bottom boards, either IPM or solid. I suggest one of each until you decide which you prefer.

6 medium, 6 5/8 supers, 60 medium,6 1/4 wedge top, split bottom bar frames, and 50 to 100 sheets medium, 5 5/8 crimp wired foundation, plus the other items on your list, except items 2, 9, and 10.

If you get 3 mediums drawn and filled the first year in this area, you can consider it a success. Anything more would be exceptional. The second year, you can hope for some honey for yourself.
michelle
Nursebee

Why wired foundation?

Post by michelle »

We touched on this in class, but why do you suggest wired foundation? Is it for stability?

Thanks

Michelle
SmithN
Guard bee

Post by SmithN »

Michelle,

I noticed a pair of gloves on your list, but I did not see a veil listed.
The honey supers are much heavier than your brood supers.
The weight of a totally full 10 frame medium super (honey, frames, box and all) is usually about 60 pounds.
An 8 frame medium super (honey, frames, box and all) will weigh about 45 pounds.
Everyone has an opinion, this is mine.
Norma :)
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Yes, stability. It isn't any fun when the foundation comes out or warps, and the bees make about 3 sheets into one comb. Especially when they build it across 3 or 4 frames. Then when you harvest it, the extractor can rip the whole comb out of the frame, or blow a hole in the middle of it. Non-wired is only used for comb honey, or crush & strain. Extracted comb should always be wired and cross wired. I plan to be at the meeting tomorrow night if you want to discuss it in detail.
michelle
Nursebee

Missed the meeting

Post by michelle »

My daughter came home feeling really sick. We ended up at the doctor's with her having strep throat. I really hate I missed the meeting Thursday.

I decided to just go with a newbee kit this year since I am obviously not computing everything! Thanks for all the input. :roll:
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Most people I know who have bought the newbie kit have been disappointed with it. If you can come to the meeting early, say 6:30, next Tuesday night, you can get with a few of us and critic your list. If not, we can arrange to get together somewhere before you need to order.
michelle
Nursebee

Re: Shopping List for Two Packages I Ordered

Post by michelle »

Here is what I have went with so far.

Two 8 frame english garden hives with copper top (I couldn't help it they are pretty!)
each has 3 8 frame hive supers, entrance reducer, IPM bottom board, hive stand, inner cover, hive top feeder with floats. I have black superframe in the bottom super. The others I ordered crimp wire foundation. I have a smoker, fuel, gloves, be brush, hive tool, veil...

I know I need to probably get some supplements and stuff:
Frame Perches to hold the frames during inspection
Honey B Healthy
Honey B Gone
Spray Bottle for Sugar Water

Anything I missed? I wasn't sure if I would need to do the treatment for Varroa mites when they came. Also, I didn't know if I should put in beetle traps. Thanks for all the help.
Wally
Guard bee

Re: Shopping List for Two Packages I Ordered

Post by Wally »

I would pick up a spray bottle at walmart or other garden center.
The frame holder is a handy, unnecessary tool, so question mark on it.
The others, I would wait.
There will be plenty of time for those later.
No mite treatment at this time. Being without brood is about the best mite treatment you can have.