Two Feral Colonies

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Bill Hansen
Nursebee

Two Feral Colonies

Post by Bill Hansen »

I have permission to take two feral colonies in Rockingham County. Both have evidently been in existence for decades. I only want one of the colonies for myself. I've never done this kind of extraction before, so I will need help or guidance. Someone with skill want to join in? I would like to do this sooner rather than later. I took some photos last fall.
http://sufficient-for-our-need.blogspot ... -bees.html
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Wally is the one you want to talk to about the"how to"'s and whens. That being said, I think it is too early in the season to think about trying removals. The weather needs to be warmer (above 60°F and probably more like 70°F) when exposing the bees and the comb to the open air and removal process. If you don't get the queen in the process, you need to be able to give the bees one or have them make one (drones flying). Have you checked the status of the hives recently? You will want to know that they have survived winter and appear strong enough to be worth the effort.

I followed the link to your blog. The old cabin seems reasonable to work on as a removal. The other one would be beyond most of us unless there is access to the hive and a way to do a trap out rather than a cut out.

I'll help take out bees, but I am not in the construction/remodeling business and I don't know anyone around here who is. (I am aware of one fellow in the Eastern part of the State, but I think his prices would start at around $5,000-10,000).

Wally, what are your thoughts?
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Bill, the first one, tell the owner what to do with his bees. You should also tell him it won't be as comfortable as toilet paper.

The second one could be done as a practice job. There will be many people this spring who will pay you to take bees out and then pay someone else to do the repairs. You don't need the headache of the first cabin.
Bill Hansen
Nursebee

Post by Bill Hansen »

Great advice. When will it be warm enough?
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

You can get some idea by going to the "weather research" link on our home page. Scroll down to the bottom and click on the local weather, history data link at the lower left. Put in the zip code of the location and then scroll down to see the full month displayed. This display will let you go to the next month or the previous month or even past years for a given month. For my zip code, April of last year looked good pretty much the whole month.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Marie laveau is the only one I know that can accurately predict the coming weather, and she isn't answering my emails. :oops: :shock: :D

I would guess any time in March or April after you hear of the first swarm being caught. I would pick a day that is 70 + and sunny, with no rain forecast for the next day or two.
mike91553
Guard bee

Post by mike91553 »

Marie Laveau, That's the old gal Bobby Bare got tangled up with down in LA in the swamps.
From what I heard You best not be messing with her.
SmithN
Guard bee

Post by SmithN »

Marie Laveau, really....LOL
Everyone has an opinion, this is mine.
Norma :)
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

WELL, She is the only one I know that can ACCURATELY predict the weather.