Has anyone tried this moth trap?

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

taymrich

Has anyone tried this moth trap?

Post by taymrich »

I read online that you can build preventative traps for wax moths and I was wondering if anyone has tried it and if it worked. Here is what I read:

"Take a 2 litre plastic pop bottle and drill a 1 inch hole just below the slope on the neck, then add 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar, 1 half cup vinegar and finally 1 banana peel. Wait a few days till it starts to ferment, then tie it into a tree close to the hives. This trap will draw the wax moth, they enter the hole can't get out and drown in the liquid, this will even draw in and kill the bald faced hornet."
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

I have not tried it but here is a link.
Check out post #6 in this thread.
http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthr ... xmoth+trap
Just some thoughts.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I have not tried these kind of traps, but my concern would be that they act as "lures." Would you be bringing pests that might not otherwise in the area, nearer to your hives? I'm not aware of any research regarding the relative attractiveness of the lure versus the smell of the hive. I would probably try some type of trap if I found that the area was ALREADY a home to large numbers of a pest that was being problematic.

Strong hives without too much unoccupied comb will take care of a lot of these potential pests, wax moths and small hive beetles included. I will probably put small hive beetle traps in my hives this season, even though my bees have kept the adult beetles in check in the past. I will use mineral oil or vegetable oil in the traps, but I am not inclined to use vinegar or other attractants in the trap. I will trust the bees to chase the beetles into the traps rather than put a scent in them that might possibly lure additional outside hive beetles into the hive.

Has anyone used these home made pest traps and if so, please let us know your experiences.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Ski, you and Tia beat me to the punch! Thanks for the link.