Swarm capture and excape.

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

mike91553
Guard bee

Swarm capture and excape.

Post by mike91553 »

This all started Sunday May 8 when I inspected a strong hive that was filling the 2nd deep with honey and ignoring the super of drawn comb.
I found many swarm cells and decided shake all the bees in front of the hive and cut the cells.
When I found the laying Queen she was marked red ( 09 ) so I decided to remove her and leave 2 cells hoping they would not swarm now. I also took out 1 brood frame with cells to use in another hive and put back a foundation frame.

That night I got a swarm call so Monday I drove into Burlington with a ladder and with with some help managed to get most of the bees from 25 feet up an oak tree. Thought we had the queen but could be mistaken. I weighed the box before and after capture and we had 2.5 lbs of bees. Set them off at home and went back about 2 hours later to find the box empty.

Started walking around and found a larger swarm nearby ( 100 yards ) low and easy to get. I caught them in the same box and weighed it that night. This time it was 5 lbs bees. I could be wrong but I don't think I have a hive that is missing 5 lbs bees and I am wondering if the swarm that absconded joined another 2.5 lb swarm from one of my hives that had a virgin queen.

Went through it Sat. and could not find a queen or eggs. The frame with open brood I had added was mostly capped now but I didn't see larvae in any of the queen cups.

Do you all think the first swarm may have joined the 2nd or did they just fly away?
I searched around more after catching the 2nd swarm but no luck.
Wally
Guard bee

Re: Swarm capture and excape.

Post by Wally »

From Monday to Sat. Is not long for a virgin to mate and start laying. Give her another week and check again Sat. Then you will likely have eggs.

The first swarm could have joined another swarm, or joined with one of your hives, or a mixture of both. Being queenless, they went looking for another home.

PS. Removing queen cells is the best way I know to make a hive queenless and die out. It will NOT stop swarming.
mike91553
Guard bee

Re: Swarm capture and excape.

Post by mike91553 »

Thanks Wally,
I think I will give that hive a frame with eggs and brood just in case they swarmed with their only new queen.