Bee chasing

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

dwbicefam
Newbee

Bee chasing

Post by dwbicefam »

So I was minding my own business, putting plants in my garden, twenty or more yards from the hives, when suddenly there is a buzzing around my head. I often have large flies that buzz loudly so I just tried to brush it off and get it to go its merry way, but it kept pursuing me, even when I stood up and walked away from the area I was in, but eventually I was able to get away from it. After a few minutes, I went back and started working again, and it happened again, but I was able to get it to leave me alone fairly quickly. However that was not to last, and it came back, persisting in buzzing the back of my head, so I turned my hat around to keep it off my neck. Of course it got caught in the cap, so I pulled it off and my lovely honey bee proceeded to fly up under my glasses and sting me on the nose. I have applied baking soda, no swelling - yet. Is this behavior normal? It didn't hurt to get stung (shucks, it may help my sinuses) but if that happens to my neighbors they are going to freak! I go out to the hives and observe every day- no gear etc..., the bees fly around me, but have never acted aggressive, but this was just crazy! Has anyone else had this happen?
Cheryl
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: Bee chasing

Post by Jacobs »

Every now and then you are going to run into a bee that will be irritated by your presence. It will continue to get in your face or bump you until you leave or until it gets exhausted. I have been bothered, but seldom stung, by these bees. When you trapped the bee, you pushed passed irritating presence to threat. If you have several bees at a time that regularly come out to meet you at some distance from the hive, you may have more of a problem that would bear investigation (queenlessness, other hive conditions causing irritation, or hot bees that may need requeening are examples).

When I am stung for no reason, it is usually by a "suicidal" bee that gives no warning, does no bumping, and goes straight for the sting.
Ron Young
Guard bee

Post by Ron Young »

The only time I have encountered this was with a queenless hive, and last year with two hives that were hot and I ended up requeening.
dwbicefam
Newbee

Post by dwbicefam »

I checked in both hives today and both had eggs and larvae, so I don't have a problem with queenlessness. The bees were fine, not stinging (no bumping!) I must have just had a radical bee who was irritated by the cool weather or something.