super empty

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

dball

super empty

Post by dball »

I have 2year old hive from a swarm-- i put the super on 3 weeks ago, checked it the last two weekends but the bees have pulled no comb.
So went in the brood chamber full of honey not many bees so went into hive body lots bees & capped honey no sign of eggs though.
Should I move some of the brood up to the super & replace with new frames in the brood chamber ?
What is my next step?
mike91553
Guard bee

Re: super empty

Post by mike91553 »

I would put the super in storage until next year late March- early April. It sounds like your hive started running out of room long before you added a super and swarmed in the last few weeks. You hopefully have a new queen about ready to begin laying. If you have more hives swap out one of your frames of honey for a brood frame with new eggs and young larvae. You can shake the bees off both frames first if you wish to insure that you don't move a queen. If they are queenless they will tell you in a few days when you check the added brood frame.
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Probably caused by a swarm but unlikely in the last couple of weeks. I believe that most swarming stopped 4 weeks ago.
Any sign of swarm cells?
Keep a close watch in case something happened to it and the queen did not make it back.

Kurt
dball

Post by dball »

thanks for the info will give you an update
Ron Young
Guard bee

Post by Ron Young »

You may have to look real close as well. I had one that was broodless and eggless two weeks ago, and I almost wrote them off as being queenless until I found a small area of eggs about the size of a tablespoon. Some eggs were on the side of the cells, and others were in the bottom. I went in the other day, and it is now apparent that it was just a young queen trying to figure it all out. She is now laying a very nice pattern, and I have capped brood, larvae, and eggs plenty.