New Hives

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

ski
Guard bee

New Hives

Post by ski »

I am new and don't have bees yet. I have a nuc ordered through the club and bought 2 hives from Reels a few weeks ago. Each hive has a deep, medium and a shallow.
The inner cover is a wooden frame with a screen instead of a piece of wood or slats. Would you advise getting a wooden inner cover? :?:

The frames have wired wax foundation measurinng 5.2 cm. I have read so much about mites and small cell that at my bee education level it seems to make sense to start with small cell. That would mean changing the foundation in the frames. Aside from the cost can the foundation be changed in the Reels frames without tearing the whole thing apart and is this a common sense thing to do ? :?:

Sometimes I think that the small cell is just a fad and it really makes no difference.

I can bring a frame to the next GCBA meeting Feb 13 if that would help.
I also plan on attending the Bee Keeping Classes that start February 8th.

Thanks for any advice.
Ski
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Small cell is liked by many, but is still a personal choice procedure. If you want to start with sc, I plan to be at the Feb. 8 class and the Feb. 13 GCBA meeting. I have both deep and medium frames from Reel's. If you want to trade your waxed frames for empty frames, I will trade with you. Then you won't have to remove the wired wax, just install sc in the empty frames. I recommend leaving the large cell wax in the shallow super, as honey supers do not benefit from sc.

I can also give you a couple of sources for sc if you need them.
Just call me at...336-302-2708
Wally
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Wally,

That seems like a win / win situation But..being new I would like to go slow and make sure I fully understand.

What do you think about the inner cover? Screened vs board :?:

Would you change the foundation in both the deep and the medium? :?:

Are your frames in new condition? :?:

Do you think the nuc bees we are getting through the club would adapt to the small cell? :?:

Would you bring one of your empty frames to the Jan 8th class so I could see how the foundation would be installed? :?: I can also bring one of my frames for your inspection.

Before we make the trade I would have to make sure I can get the small cell foundation before the nuc arrives. I understand that the nuc arrival is sometime in April.

Thanks,
Ski
Thanks for your patience with the questions.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

>>>What do you think about the inner cover? Screened vs board <<<

The inner lid is used to keep the outer lid from being propolized to the hive and allow smoking before opening the complete top. Either inner lid acomplishes both.

>>>Would you change the foundation in both the deep and the medium?<<<

I would use the same wax in all brood boxes. Since you have a med. and a shallow, I thought you intended to use a deep and a med for brood. If so, you want to change both. If you are going to use the med. for honey, you want lc in it.

>>>Are your frames in new condition?<<<

I am going to pick them up at Reel's this weekend.

>>>Do you think the nuc bees we are getting through the club would adapt to the small cell?<<<

Any bees will adapt. Maybe in one step, maybe in two.

>>>Would you bring one of your empty frames to the Jan 8th class<<<

Why not bring all the frames, then if we don't want to trade, we can take them back home?

>>>Before we make the trade I would have to make sure I can get the small cell foundation before the nuc arrives.<<<

Call Don at 706-677-3502, or go to his website and see what his delivery time is for sc.
http://www.geocities.com/fatbeeman/
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Wally,

I have 2 deeps and two mediums do you want all 40 frames?

ski
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Sure, why not. I keep boxes to sell. I will just put them in inventory until someone wants them. Did you call don? I told him I gave you his number and site. He's waiting for your contact.
the kid

Post by the kid »

I taked to Don last week and he said IF YOU WANT BEES GET THE ORDER IN as only a few remain,,, about 30 when I talked to him.. I got mine in on fri..
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Wally,

I called Don, he does not have crimp wired foundation. My hives are covered up out side but I am pretty sure the frames do not have holes in the sides for wiring. Don mentioned he would not ship the foundation as long as it is cold and he is in Lula Ga approx 300 miles from here. I have not done any of this before so I am a little nervous and don't want to get stuck with bees and empty frames.

SO, lets just trade 10 frames of med and 10 frames of deep. that will give me a fall back plan if the small cell does not work out.

I will bring the frames to the Feb 8th class.

Don sounds like a fascinating guy with a lot of information about going organic. Maybe I will try his bees for the second hive.

I left you a voice mail as well

Thanks,
Ski