Going rate for hives and drawn supers

Maybe you are looking for something specific or maybe you just have some beekeeping supplies you no longer need. Post it here and see what happens.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

dhamiltn
Nursebee

Going rate for hives and drawn supers

Post by dhamiltn »

I am moving out of NC and need to unload all of my hives. My neighbors are interested in buying them, however.

What is a fair price for a healthy hive (10 frame "normal" hive) and for each additional fully-drawn 10 frame medium or shallow super?

I'll list anything on this board that they don't buy, or if they back out of the transaction.

Thanks.
specialkayme
Forager

Re: Going rate for hives and drawn supers

Post by specialkayme »

It depends alot on the time of year. This time of year is often not the best, as the buyer takes the risk of any losses going into winter.

I can buy a 10 frame single coming out of florida (or almonds) for around $120-160 in the spring. If I wanted them in 5 frame nuc form, I could probably get them for around $80-90. Some nucs, in small orders, can go for $125-150 for just the five frame nuc. So it depends on where they are coming from.

So, if you figure I can get a hive for around $140 in spring, and ~ 30% won't overwinter (national average), and it will probably cost me around $10 per hive to get it ready for winter (treatments, feed, replaced equipment, ect.) that would make it about $88 per hive now and I'd get the same thing as the $140 in spring. So, this time of year, I'd say $90-100 per hive would be fair. If they inherit diseases or poorly managed hives (no offense, just speaking globally) it's built into the price. If their hive doesn't make it through winter (which a percentage won't) it's built into the price.

As far as the drawn comb goes, I'd say about $30 a box sounds fair. That would amount to $2 per drawn frame and $10 for the used box. I think that's a little high for the box, but still reasonable overall.
dhamiltn
Nursebee

Post by dhamiltn »

Thanks for the replies. My neighbors bailed, so I need to sell 6 hives. I'll sell for $100 each, and it includes a super on each. I have been feeding through August, but they will need more unless there is an exceptional fall flow. I can help load at my house, but you are responsible for transport. I live in Gibsonville, closer to Mcleansville.

I also have some additional drawn supers (roughly 10) that I would like to sell with the hives, and a bunch of empty super boxes. $15 for the drawn supers, and $4 for each box.

I'll look through the other beekeeping equipment and come up with a bulk deal price for it all.

please PM me here or email at dhamilton4@elon.edu. Thanks.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Forsyth county has their meeting the 1st.
Randolph has theirs the 4th.
Guilford has theirs the 11th.
Alamance has theirs the 20th.

I would attend all them and have it announced as to what you have.

Maybe Rockingham and caswell, too.
dhamiltn
Nursebee

Post by dhamiltn »

The bees have found a new home. Thanks.