drone frame in new package/posting pictures in forum

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

beeramm
Nursebee

drone frame in new package/posting pictures in forum

Post by beeramm »

I have 3 lb. packages (2) due 3/29 from Triad. I am using all 8 frame mediums. Does anyone have any thoughts on using the "drone comb" frame in a new package? Any or all responses would be appreciated.

Also, can someone explain how one would post a picture in the forum?

Thanks.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: drone frame in new package

Post by Jacobs »

I think I would go with regular foundation on the first 8 frame super. Let them draw it out and have room to grow the number of workers. When you add a second super you can think about a drone frame. I don't really have anything to base this on other than that your package will be diminishing in numbers of workers during the time it takes to release the queen, have enough comb drawn for her to lay in significant numbers, and add 21 days for worker brood to emerge from the time the egg is laid.

I use photobucket for uploading photos. It is a free service. Once I upload a picture, I like to reduce its size before posting to the forum. You can either copy the link to the photo from the site and insert that in the post or use the copy/insert function to place the actual photo in the post. The link only does not insert the photo, but takes the person to your photobucket site and displays the picture there. The second method actually places the photo in the post. Clicking on the IMG code copies the photo information to my Firefox. I open the GCBA post and paste the code information in it. I hit preview, check it out, and if I like it, hit submit.

Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

I would not use them the first year. A package needs all it's resources to prepare for winter. Also, mites normally are not a problem the first year.
beeramm
Nursebee

Post by beeramm »

Thanks for the replies, guess i'll wait on the drone frame.
In regards to posting pics: Copy/insert function, IMG codes, Firefox?
I guess you will have to dumb it down for this dinosaur.
Bees to arrive this Friday and I thought I would try to post pics of my hive location, custom stand, etc.
Thanks again.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

First, you cannot post pics that are in your computer. You have to have them somewhere on the internet. Photobucket.com is a website that lets you upload your pics and arrange them in different albums, and many other things you can do with them there. Once uploaded, you can then post them to the forum.

If you will go to www.photobucket.com and sign up and learn to upload your pics from your computer, then it is a simple process to post them from photobucket to the forum. After you sign up, if you can't figure out how to upload your pics, I can walk you through that part of it over the phone.

Check it out, get your pics uploaded, then come back and we will take the next step.

If you get stumped along the way, call ma at 336-302-2708

Wally
beeramm
Nursebee

Re: drone frame in new package/posting pictures in forum

Post by beeramm »

Thanks Wally. I'll check it out and get back to you if needed.