Is this Nosema

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

herbcoop
Forager

Is this Nosema

Post by herbcoop »

My boss is having this problem and he thinks it is Nosema, this is what he asked
"Went thru my 6 hives today. Its been 2 weeks since I did this. One hive, a queen less split, had poop inside the hive...a lot. Only a small amount outside. From what I've read, most people don't treat and let the disease run its course. But what do I do with all the contaminated woodenware and frames? And don't I run a risk of contaminating all my hives with this sick hive close by?

I trust what you guys say and I'll pass it on to him
Thanks,
Herb
Wally
Guard bee

Re: Is this Nosema

Post by Wally »

I would treat them with fumidil. It is too late in the year to let it run it's course.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Woodenware can be washed down with water and bleach which can work on the boxes but used frames usually have a waxy coating that makes the water just run off. I have also read that you can put the woodenware in the sunlight and the UV rays will kill the Nosema fungus.
Last edited by ski on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just some thoughts.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

If I remember correctly fumagilin is used in sugar syrup and it may be difficult to get the bees to take syrup if there is a nectar flow. Is there another way to administor fumagilin?
Any honey made during a funagilin treatment which may be several weeks should not be used for human consumption.
Just some thoughts.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

I stand corrected.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Not at all Wally! Treating with fumagilin may still be the best way to go and if its Nosema Ceranae its treat or lose it.

Reading a bit more fumagilin can be applied by spraying or drenching.

The other question:
And don't I run a risk of contaminating all my hives with this sick hive close by?

Bees get sick by cleaning up the poop using their mouth parts and ingest the fungus or spores. So if the hives are not separated enough or look the same in a nice straight row drifting could be a problem and therefore other hives could be infected. Otherwise I think it's low risk.

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/nosema- ... or-nosema/

Just my thoughts.
Just some thoughts.
herbcoop
Forager

Post by herbcoop »

Thank you Wally & Ski
I'll pass this on to him