top hive feeder drowning

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Becky Hampton
Forager

top hive feeder drowning

Post by Becky Hampton »

How do you keep bees from drowning in the top hive feeder? I have bees coming in from the corner of the screen that covers the top hive feeder under the cover. There's a small square of space on both sides where they come in even when the cover is on securely. Every time I go in to check/replace the syrup, there are drowned bees in there. I came home from being away a week and found all the syrup gone and probably 100+ presumably drowned in the dry box. I tried stapling a fine mesh screen from an old screen door (puppy chewed up the bottom half of the door :))over the top of the feeder but they found places to crawl in under it. I've also place a good size stick in the feeder to give them something to crawl on if they get in the syrup box. Are they supposed to be able to get in through the top corners of the screen under the cover?
Wally
Guard bee

Re: top hive feeder drowning

Post by Wally »

I would give the feeder back to the supplier and demand a proper replacement.
Becky Hampton
Forager

Post by Becky Hampton »

Hmmm - thanks, Wally. I guess I assumed that was the way it was supposed to be!
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

NO, that is NOT the way it is supposed to be. I have returned a half dozen or more and gotten good ones in return. They should fit the hive without a crack underneath, NOT leak, and be bee proof other than over the top if your lid isn't flat.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

I have fixed a few feeders that had open spaces by removing the top screen enough to put some silicone in the open spaces. You should not have to repair new equipment but sometimes its easier then the hassle of returning it.

I like using the vented screens on top of the feeders, they usually fit flat on the feeder and still provide some ventilation.
Just some thoughts.
Becky Hampton
Forager

Post by Becky Hampton »

Thanks everyone for the advice. It's good to know that's not how they're supposed to be! That gives me some ideas on how to proceed.