re-using honey frames

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

p51d
Guard bee

re-using honey frames

Post by p51d »

next question for the experts. My honey frames are now old. The wax is old, fragile, and discolored over a couple of years.I am taking the wax out to replace in the existing frames.

How do you guys "clean the frames"? There is plenty of bee wax and bee glue on them so after scarping and before new wax, how is the best way to clean them?
Wally
Guard bee

Re: re-using honey frames

Post by Wally »

If your comb is less than 6 years old, it isn't old. If less than 10 y/o, it is still good, usable comb.

When it is 10 to 20 years old, cut it out and scrape the frames with a hive tool.
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

Thanks Wally, then my wax was not old. They were about four years old yet had some discoloration due to a bit of mold.I suppose they were damp when stored or enough moisture caused this. This was the reasoning to replace. Thanks for the valuable information as always.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Darkening doesn't hurt anything. When they are totally black and too shallow to raise a larva in because of years of cocoon buildup, then they are old. Many are replacing them after 5 to 10 years now because of pesticide use and the chemical buildup in the wax, but the comb is not worn out as long as the cells are deep enough to raise brood. When it gets too shallow, the bees quit using it.
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

What about honey supers? The honey super frames I replaced. I want the best product I can for any customers. thanks for the input.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Comb honey supers should be new wax.

Extracted honey supers are cleaner and last longer if no brood has ever been raised in them.

Extracted honey supers that have had brood raised in them are still fine for honey, but the wax and the honey will normally be a bit darker. Not a problem, in my ipinion
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

Perfect, thanks for the help Wally.