dead wax moth larva on sticky board

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Becky Hampton
Forager

dead wax moth larva on sticky board

Post by Becky Hampton »

I lost my only hive this summer when robbing started (even though I had a robbing screen on) and then the small hive beetle and wax moth took over. I froze all the woodware for 3 days and cleaned it all out. Then I got a nuc and started over with them in a new super. They're going great guns - I've got 2 supers full of bees and a 3rd on top. I've put the sticky gridded board in a couple of times to check for varroa - which based on what I've been reading I really shouldn't expect to be a problem with a new nuc started this summer. I put the board in this past weekend - and then forgot to pull it out until today. Among the stuff that's in there are 3 dead wax moth larva. At a previous check which I took out after 48 hours, I had 1 dead wax moth larva and several dead small hive beetle larva.
Is this anything to be concerned about, or are the bees managing their pests?
I did a thorough inspection last weekend and saw a few small hive beetles but nothing major. I didn't see anything that should be a cause for concern in the hive except busy bees, brood, eggs, stored honey - the good stuff.
Thanks!