Any preferences for top feeders? What style do you like best

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

B_Lee
Nursebee

Any preferences for top feeders? What style do you like best

Post by B_Lee »

I keep reading about how large number of bees can drown in sugar water at large numbers with some feeders that are used. Also, with the number of different styles and makes, does any one find any issues with fit when using with different makes of hive bodies?

Brian
ski
Guard bee

Re: Any preferences for top feeders? What style do you like

Post by ski »

These are the feeders I like. They have the bee access at one end and I use a screen over the feeder for a tight fit to the feeder and it provides ventilation.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w45/ ... ers002.jpg

I have a couple of feeders that have the bee access in the middle and don't care for them as well because if your hive is tilted forward you would only use half of the feeder as the front half would be titled away from the bee access. I have also had to repair new feeders of this type as bees seem to find their way into the feeder reservoir because the screens did not have a good fit.
I have also tried using chicken waters with an empty hive body around it but they just got too messy to deal with.
Just some thoughts.
B_Lee
Nursebee

Post by B_Lee »

Good info, ski. What's the brand of the feeder shown? How much sugar water do give them at one time? I ask this as I will start this spring with a few hives from packages and may only be able to check on them on the weekends and I want to make sure they get a good start.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Miller bee supply carries the one compartment feeder but the ones I have I got from Wally when he was getting equipment from a couple of places around Marion NC. I don't know if those guys are still in business.
That is the type of feeder I like, others will have different feeders or feeding methods they like from frame feeders to open feeding. Don't make any decisions from one persons post. I would suggest you go to the different forums from the Guilford county home page and do a lot of reading.

How much should you feed packages ? Good question. You feed them as much as they need to build comb but you don't want them to fill up all the cells with syrup or nectar and not have a place for the queen to lay eggs.
Just some thoughts.