Fall feeding

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Becky Hampton
Forager

Fall feeding

Post by Becky Hampton »

How long do you feed your bees in the fall? I've been giving mine the 2:1 sugar syrup mix since September to build my hive up, and they've gobbled it up pretty quickly each time I feed. Now that it's turned much colder, is it time to stop, or do I keep feeding on the warmer days?
Wally
Guard bee

Re: Fall feeding

Post by Wally »

You feed until it weighs 75 lb. plus15 lb. for each additional box after the first one.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I took advantage of the warmth yesterday to check hive weights and pop the outer covers on ones that felt light. Two hives had bees in the top super and crowding the opening of the inner cover. Those hives got another medium with some frames of honey from the freezer. If I get the bees through the season of mites and small hive beetles, I don't want to lose them to starvation.
beekeep

Post by beekeep »

depends were you live ,, fl you can feed all year ,, mn you can not
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

That's exactly why I ask all members to put their location in their profile. Then someone will know how to answer their questions. We can't help if we don't know where you are.

I am helping a member of another forum now. It is the first day of summer. He is in New Zealand. If I gave him advice for the US, I would kill his bees.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I'm going to be lifting hives in the next day or two and checking cluster locations on any that feel light. I have no complaints about the weather we have been getting so far.