First Hive Inspection of 2014

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

donwal
Guard bee

First Hive Inspection of 2014

Post by donwal »

So glad to get into my only remaining hive. Just a peak under the cover for today to check the cluster and volume of bees. The girls seem to be doing good so far. :D
100_3790.JPG
100_3790.JPG (143.12 KiB) Viewed 12638 times
herbcoop
Forager

Re: First Hive Inspection of 2014

Post by herbcoop »

This is what they looked like this past Saturday when I went in, I added another sugar brick where the bees are, slid it in nice and easy
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Looking good, guys. Try to check them again this month and weekly in march if you haven't been hefting them. If you have, and the weight is good, hefting weekly is all that is needed.
herbcoop
Forager

Post by herbcoop »

Wally wrote:Looking good, guys. Try to check them again this month and weekly in march if you haven't been hefting them. If you have, and the weight is good, hefting weekly is all that is needed.
Wally, mine is light on both hives that's why I've been feeding sugar bricks, I can lift / tilt the back with ease. They were fully loaded and heavy December then with all the rain we got and the nasty cold weather they have been eating like little pigs "LOL"
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Don't let them run out. With 20,000 new mouths to feed, they can starve in 2 to 3 days. You might consider combining them if the population count is low.
donwal
Guard bee

Post by donwal »

This hive is from a split I did on June15th. I have lost my other 3 hives this winter, so I am keeping a close eye on this one.
herbcoop
Forager

Post by herbcoop »

Wally wrote:Don't let them run out. With 20,000 new mouths to feed, they can starve in 2 to 3 days. You might consider combining them if the population count is low.
They are bringing in pollen, I've seen the queen & some drones now. But the last time I looked the bottom deep was slam packed with capped honey and now if the process is correct they have eaten most of that and eventually move down. The deep above this is where I seen drones and the queen, larva and brood very little honey. Now there is some larva on top of the fames where they made their own comb, is that good and I should worry about that?
I have a medium above that and I guess I should get that off when I can, unless you think I'm good to leave it, here is some honey in this medium as well.
I see if I can post picture of the larve on top of the frames.
Thanks all...
herbcoop
Forager

Post by herbcoop »

Image[/url][/img]
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

The larva between the frames are drones.

If there is no empty cells in the hives, add some, or extract to make room. They will swarm when out of room to lay eggs or store more honey.