Successful Snow Day

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

specialkayme
Forager

Successful Snow Day

Post by specialkayme »

Work canceled, spent the day building equipment. 20 medium boxes, 15 deep boxes, 100 medium frames (so far). I call that a productive day.

Now to just get them filled with bees . . .

Wally
Guard bee

Re: Successful Snow Day

Post by Wally »

Did you build from lumber, or assemble from a supplier?

Either way, the pita comes next. PAINTING.
specialkayme
Forager

Post by specialkayme »

I build most of mine from lumber. I didn't plan ahead enough though, so these came from Mann Lake.

Painting isn't as much of a PITA as it used to be. I got a spray gun to attach to the air compressor. It doesn't really save much in the way of time, but sure makes it easier, less monotonous, and easier to clean up.
specialkayme
Forager

Post by specialkayme »

Painting completed. Now to make the rest of the frames.

All of the supers I ordered were mediums (20) and I ordered 200 medium frames and 200 sheets of medium foundation. I assembled 100 of the frames prior to assembling the boxes. Found out yesterday that 100 of the frames were actually shallow frames, not mediums. So now I've got 100 shallow frames with no foundation for them, assembled, and not enough medium frames for the boxes. Contacted Mann Lake, and we'll see what they say. But my guess is they'll tell me since they are assembled, they can't switch it out. Partially my fault for not realizing they were shallow frames when I started assembling them, I guess.
Attachments
photo-2.JPG
photo-2.JPG (193.75 KiB) Viewed 9066 times
specialkayme
Forager

Post by specialkayme »

Just heard back from Mann Lake. They'll be sending replacement frames to me today. Good work on their part, very pleased.

Not to figure out what to do with the extra 100 frames I built. I could either:
1. Buy/build 10 more shallow boxes and buy 100 shallow sheets of foundation, or
2. Sell them to someone who needs them now (wouldn't be looking at financially gaining, just recouping time and materials spent assembling them).

Going to have to think it over.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

We do have the buy/sell forum on here if you want to list them.
specialkayme
Forager

Post by specialkayme »

Yeah, just trying to decide IF I want to sell them.

I don't have any need for them today, or probably this year, but maybe next year. Is it worth having them sit around for a year . . . IDK. Depends on what they are worth.

What's the going rate for an assembled shallow frame without foundation anyway, $0.65?