Swarm 4/3/14 Spincer-Dixion North Guilford county

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

B_Lee
Nursebee

Swarm 4/3/14 Spincer-Dixion North Guilford county

Post by B_Lee »

I was at work today and got a call on the radio for me to come and take a look at some gants or bees. I was completely surprised when I found a large swarm had lighted on a bush just outside one of our hallways. I raced home and got some equipment, about a 10 min. Drive one way. When I got back, they had taken off. I bee-lined them and found them on a small tree no higher than my shoulders. I was able to get them in a large cardboard box I found took them to my bee yard to hive. Needless to say, this was exciting as it was my first swarm ever and they just happen to land right at my work. The swarm was two to three times the size of a 3 lbs package. I placed them in two med hive bodies with undrawn frames and a top feeder. I'll check back on them, Sunday.

What else do I need to look out for?
B_Lee
Nursebee

Re: Swarm 4/3/14 Spincer-Dixion North Guilford county

Post by B_Lee »

Here are some pics
image.jpg
image.jpg (48.2 KiB) Viewed 11931 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (33.75 KiB) Viewed 11931 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (38.53 KiB) Viewed 11931 times
mike91553
Guard bee

Post by mike91553 »

Watch that they stay there. A lot of time I will give them a frame with open larvae from another hive. Shake the bees off and swap it for a frame in your new hive. Then feed and don't mess with them for several days. When I first started I did have some swarms fly away and leave new equipment. They stay home better with some drawn comb or some open larvae to care for.

You really caught a nice swarm there. Good luck.
B_Lee
Nursebee

Post by B_Lee »

Check on the swarm hive yesterday. They are very active at the entrance coming and going with lots of pollen. They had taken all of the sugar syrup (About 1.5 gals.) from a top feeder. I didn't do an inspection but I'm looking to get into the hive this weekend to see how things are going. They were much more active then my packaged bees that are at two weeks old this Sat.
B_Lee
Nursebee

Post by B_Lee »

Swarms can build up fast. 20 frames of med foundation drawn in 9 days. I'm going to have to keep my eye on them.
mike91553
Guard bee

Post by mike91553 »

You have a winner. I caught an 8 or 9 lb swarm a couple or 3 years ago and they drew out a 10 frame deep and medium and then made 2 med supers of honey.