What kind of tree is this?

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

B_Lee
Nursebee

What kind of tree is this?

Post by B_Lee »

I've bee watching the below three the last few days at my work. Friday there were buds and it's in full bloom. There were tons of bees working them. Anyone know what kind of tree this is?

Also, I see that the local blackberry vines have buds on them.
Tree
Tree
image.jpg (160.17 KiB) Viewed 11302 times
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: What kind of tree is this?

Post by Jacobs »

I don't know, but the real question is have you seen honey bees working it? If so, we need to see if we can figure out what it is. If not, I will simply classify it as stuff that bees do not get on(even though it has a nice looking bloom). That is my basic plant classification system, so I hope someone will come up with the real name.
B_Lee
Nursebee

Post by B_Lee »

Oh they love it. Nice full pollen baskets full of yellow pollen. They are small in night so I would think they would be a great one to have around homes.
B_Lee
Nursebee

Post by B_Lee »

Believe I was able to figure it out using an iphone app. Its falling into the cherry tree category. I wonder how long the blooms will hang around?
B_Lee
Nursebee

Post by B_Lee »

I had to try again...

Just as today got better and temps went up, bees were all over them again. It looks to be a hawthorne of some type.

http://www.oplin.org/tree/fact%20pages/ ... horne.html
mike91553
Guard bee

Post by mike91553 »

If it has thorns you probably nailed it. I searched flowers with 5 petals yesterday and hawthorn looked like the most likely match.