are these queen or drone cells

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

jpcows
Newbee

are these queen or drone cells

Post by jpcows »

One of my hive has lost it's queen or I can not find her. It has only a few bees which are working these cells. Can anyone tell ne what may be happening? image in dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hmjihmyw4l1l ... I4-1BArJta
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: are these queen or drone cells

Post by Jacobs »

Those are drone brood cells. You either have a drone laying queen or you have a laying worker hive. Are you seeing multiple eggs in cells and eggs laid on top of pollen? If so, it is the result of laying workers.
jpcows
Newbee

Post by jpcows »

suggestions
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Call me or another member and have him come look. If that is your only hive, I think it may be doomed, unless there are many more bees on other frames.
jpcows
Newbee

Post by jpcows »

Thank everyone for help, after reinspecting the hive it was easy to see cells with double and triple eggs in them. I sealed the hive and moved it several hundred yard and dumped. Any good worker I hope will make it back to the other hive. The laying worker will become chicken food.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

First, if it's a laying worker, there are many of them, not just one. If it is a drone laying queen, then she will be rejected by the other hive.

Second, 10 feet would have been just as good, maybe better.