Sad Day

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

herbcoop
Forager

Sad Day

Post by herbcoop »

I went home hoping to see the girls flying tonight but there were non, I opened the tops of both of my hives and they are dead... I checked them 20 days ago when I took a Quick look. Last week I tapped on the side and listened with my stethoscope and could hear them. Bummer I just bought a honey extractor and more wooden wear to expand.. So my Wayne bees are gone so if anyone is doing a split or catches a swarm and not looking much money i'd appreciate you keeping me in mind since my bee cash is spent.
I left one hive with 10 frames of honey in a shallow super and the other I left a 10 frame deep super full. I'll look tomorrow to see if i can see anything strange.
Wally
Guard bee

Re: Sad Day

Post by Wally »

Herb, if you don't have any, come down here and get some BT. Spray all those frames before the wax moths get to them.
herbcoop
Forager

Post by herbcoop »

Thanks Wally, I have all frames in the freezer and rest are in heavy plastic bags. Yeah i have none but will need to wait to get any, i spent money on an honey extractor and capping knives and more wooden ware hoping to expand so i'm cashed out, thanks for the offer friend.
What do I spray on them?
Last edited by herbcoop on Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bsummitkeeper
Nursebee

Post by Bsummitkeeper »

Man that sucks. I'm going into my fourth year and have fed 2/1 sugar water consistently the last three because I'm terrified mine are going to starve every year. The down side has been that I've had such early big build ups that I've had swarms as early as 15 March. This year I fed sugar water pretty heavy right into November and stopped. They all took it about the same amount and we're pretty heavy.

About three weeks ago on a 50 degree day I put about three pounds of granulated sugar on news paper in the top of every hive. I actually woke up first thing the next morning and the first thing I though of when I opened my eyes was that I put the sugar in the back half of the hives and blocked my vents. Less than 24 hours later I went back in to clear the vent area and the sugar was hard as a rock from the moisture. I'm convinced I would have killed seven hives with that stupid little mistake but it's one that won't be made again.

I Peeked in all of them today and 4 were actively eating the sugar and 3 are almost out. The other 3 haven't even touched it. I'll trust them to know what to do but it amazes me that all the hives seem to be in the same state but do things differently.
herbcoop
Forager

Post by herbcoop »

I think they starved, they never moved up.. I had the bottom brood box with honey for the winter and honey in the supers above. I guess with all the rain we've had they ate what was in the brood box. The supers were still full of honey
I couldn't see the brood until i knocked them off. I smelt each frame and the bees, no rotten or stink'n smell, no deformed bees either. It was a sad to dispose of them and to disassemble my hives..
pholcomb
Forager

Post by pholcomb »

Sorry to hear that Herb. Last year I lost 3 of 4 hives, and so far 1 of 2 this winter. Just posted about my hive of Wayne's Bees, which is hanging on but we still have another month of winter to go.

Paul