Starting Brood Box with New Package

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

agc
Newbee

Starting Brood Box with New Package

Post by agc »

I am an newbie here so I am sure these questions are basic for most of you guys.

I read the new bees will build out and down from center. When I get my package of bees and put them in a brand new deep brood box, should I have another empty deep brood box underneath that for them? Or should I just start with one deep and add another on top (or bottom) later in the season after they have established themselves.

Someone said to be sure and treat for Nosema with Fumagilin even with a new package in early spring. Opinions/Advice

Should I add a beetle trap to a brand new hive?
Gray Cassell
Kernersville, NC
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: Starting Brood Box with New Package

Post by Jacobs »

You will want to start with 1 deep super. Once you install your package, you will be feeding 1:1 sugar water so that the bees can draw comb, even after dark. If you are using 10 frame equipment, wait until 8 of the 10 frames have been drawn out before adding another super. Otherwise, the bees will "chimney" and build upward rather than drawing comb toward the outer areas of the super.

I haven't heard anyone suggest treating a package for nosema. I don't think I would do it after winter without a specific need. If your bees let loose with a lot of poop just after you install them, don't panic. Remember that they have been cooped up for a few days and a good number of them will be more than ready for a bathroom break.

The best thing you can do for SHB is locate your hive in full sun if possible. During the season, make sure the bees do not have more space than they can protect.
Wally
Guard bee

Re: Starting Brood Box with New Package

Post by Wally »

""I am an newbie here so I am sure these questions are basic for most of you guys.""

There isn't a beekeeper alive that wasn't a newbee at one time. ASK AWAY!

As Rob said, start with one box, add another box on top when the first one is 80% or more full. Place hive in full sun. Small hive beetles love shade. NEVER treat for anything until you have a reason. Preventative treatments with chemicals only give the villain more resistance.