March Cut-Out

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

donwal
Guard bee

March Cut-Out

Post by donwal »

Waiting to do a cut-out...is this weekend still too early to do it? With the reports of drones emerging now, I would like to try and get it done this weekend.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: March Cut-Out

Post by Jacobs »

You want to wait until you have temperatures above 60°F while doing the cut out. The brood will be harmed if it is too cool.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

The forecast for Saturday is sunny and 71. IF it holds true, it would be a good time.
donwal
Guard bee

Post by donwal »

We are all set to do the cutout tomorrow. Will post pictures Sunday. So excited, I hope all goes well.
mike91553
Guard bee

Post by mike91553 »

I did one last Sunday for a friend and left them in the old house on a ladder until Friday. We didn't see the queen and thought she could have been in some crevices but they all moved in with the brood by mid week. Strong colony with 4 to 5 deep frames of brood. Set them up Friday and saw new eggs and the queen.
donwal
Guard bee

Post by donwal »

We completed the cutout Saturday. They have settled in the new home, busy bringing in pollen today.

Here is a link to the pictures...

March 21, 2015 Cutout
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Very nice job. Congratulations. Was this your first cut-out?
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Well done! In addition to bees, it looks like you will have a lot of wax to process.
donwal
Guard bee

Post by donwal »

Yes Wally, this was our first cutout. Jamie said it was also his first time too.

Yes Rob, I have a bag full of wax.
donwal
Guard bee

Post by donwal »

Tomorrow will be 14 days since the cutout. I am thinking of checking for larva and brood in the new hive body tomorrow. Is it a good time to do that? I want to try grafting this year using this hive.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

No reason not to look. I don't think I would have been able to hold back this long.
donwal
Guard bee

Post by donwal »

It has been hard waiting to see what is going on in the hive. I did not get a chance to check them today, will check on Sunday. They are bringing in a lot of pollen, so I take that as a good sign
donwal
Guard bee

Post by donwal »

Good day in the bee yard. This is the queen from a split made on 06/10/2014. All queens (my three hives) are laying good. The cutout hive is adjusting well. They are attaching the combs to the frames nicely. The queen is laying, saw eggs, larva and recently capped brood. Will get a photo of her next time. Good drone population too. Big fat drones! Time to start making splits and raising some new queens. A bald eagle flew over our house and circled the barn a few times today. What a beautiful sight.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 573f86a185