Chemical Kill

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

whg3
Nursebee

Chemical Kill

Post by whg3 »

Three weeks ago I had what must have been a chemical kill. One of my very strong hives had about two thousand dead bees in front of the hive including the queen. I put a new queen in a week later. The hive is now very strong and queen is laying well. I now have two supers full of capped honey. Question? Is it safe to harvest the honey to eat?? :roll:
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: Chemical Kill

Post by Jacobs »

This is my opinion. The honey is unlikely to harm the bees. Those that died probably died before depositing nectar in cells for storage. If the stuff was lethal enough to kill quickly, the queen and house bees may have died by ingesting it. The nectar that had been cured as capped honey was probably in place well before the possible poisoning. The fact that you have successfully introduced a new queen and have a living colony would indicate sublethal amounts of whatever may have been the problem.

If I remember the presentation from several years back by the beekeeper/lab researcher from the USDA correctly, their tests showed that pesticides/fungicides were very high in pollen samples, built up in wax as it absorbed some, and incredibly small (way below acceptable levels) amounts could be detected in honey.

It would have been good to have given Don Hopkins a call and see about collecting samples for either testing or reporting potential kills to the right agencies. You may have gotten answers about whether there was anything to be concerned about as far as human consumption goes.
DFisher
Newbee

Post by DFisher »

I have had the same thing happen. I guess I did not respond quickly enough, and when I went into the hive Saturday, there weren't 100 bees in it. Had to be some type of chemical.

Anyone got packages of bees available now?
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

I could let you have a nuc, but I don't know of anyone with packages. 302-2708
herbcoop
Forager

Post by herbcoop »

in the wanted for sale section this was listed on Friday, but I'd snag Wally's if I needed any :-)
Nobody I know of with packages in T'ville

I still have two med nucs for sale. You can call me @
Or
email at bee.local.apiaries at gmail dot com
mike91553
Guard bee

Post by mike91553 »

I'm not sure what they would have gotten into. Did you have other hives nearby that were not affected? If this was a new hive or hive beetle larvae infested they could have absconded and the 100 bees were the field bees that were out when the others left?

At this time a nuc would be much better than a package. They are plenty available now I would think. I plan to sell a few before long but the two mentioned above would be closer to you.
DFisher
Newbee

Post by DFisher »

There is another hive next to it, but it was put in after the dead bees were found, so no effect on the new one.

Wally, I am out of town this week, but will call you this weekend of that is okay. Thanks
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Any time........................
whg3
Nursebee

Re: Chemical Kill Update

Post by whg3 »

After the chemical kill I collected and sent a number of the dead bees to The North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services to be analyzed. I have no idea how long that will take for the results. It was the only hive that had the problem. There are hives on either side of the effected hive. The new queen is doing a great job. The hive has now built back up and is very strong with a lot of eggs, larvae and brood.
I do remember the presentation by the beekeeper/lab researcher from the USDA showed that pesticides/fungicides were very high in pollen samples, built up in wax as it absorbed some, and incredibly small (way below acceptable levels) amounts could be detected in honey. (Thanks for that Jacobs.) :P
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

As for the OP, I would guess sevin dust on a local garden. Only that hive found it. There may be more as summer goes on.