2 Swarms on Tuesday

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Mark B.

2 Swarms on Tuesday

Post by Mark B. »

Got a call on Tuesday that bees were very active at a swarm trap in Horneytown. That evening I got a call about a lot of activity in a swarm trap in Summerfield. Both traps seem to have a good number of bees in each. Plan is to move one this evening and the other on Friday evening. After missing a swarm last year I am amazed with 2 on the same day. Thanks to James Brown and Levern Allen for their advice.
Wally
Guard bee

Re: 2 Swarms on Tuesday

Post by Wally »

It's only my personal opinion, but I think you are moving too fast. I would wait 4 or more days to give them time to have larva. Without it, they may swarm out again if disturbed.
Mark B.

Post by Mark B. »

Wally, I did not see your post until this morning.I moved the Summerfield swarm last night. We saw them bringing in some pollen yesterday and thought that was a good sign. There is a good 2 1/2 frames of bees. They had completely went over the Brood frame and cleaned out all the dead material. It appears the queen has started laying and 2 of the wax frames are being drawn out. They would have been ok for a few more days. Seeing what I did last night I will probably wait until the 1st of the week to move the other swarm.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Mark, it is just a precaution, not a necessity. You can move them anytime you want, but I have had fewer absconds after they had brood. When I capture a swarm, I try to move it immediately, before the scouts return and take it away. When they have moved in on their own, I try to leave them alone until they have brood. Again, just my way, not mandatory.
Mark B.

Post by Mark B. »

I appreciate the advice Wally. I will wait to the first of the week to move the Horneytown swarm. They were going in and out good all day today. The swarm I moved yesterday seem to be getting used to their new home and bringing in more pollen.
Mark B.

Post by Mark B. »

I moved the 2nd swarm last night to a 10-frame hive. After 6 days in the swarm trap they were storing pollen and there was some capped honey. They are drawing comb and the queen is laying eggs and we saw a few larvae. So far, so good.